In light of the interesting discussion on sample rates I propose a music
competition among LAU around production of music pieces with quality
considered 'low' by current dominating professional/audiophile standards
in the digital domain:
Specifics to be discussed, but I would start with the following:
1. Final piece shall be delivered with a maximum sampling rate of 32kHz.
Lower sample rates .allowed.
2. Final bit depth of the file shall not exceed 8 bit.
- Possible variations/additions to this restriction:
- allow dithering?
- allow 4/8bit codecs (e.g. ADPCM, ulaw)?
- simply impose a max duration and max filesize (but keep sr and bit
thresholds... and variations..)?
- Participants shall strongly focus on exploring and exploiting the
imposed limitations in a creative and artistic way
Other specs, voting mechanisms, competition arrangements, prizes, ... ???
Linux-audio-user mailing list