Re: [LAU] Top Posting [Was: Linux compatible keybord controller?]

From: Q <lists@...>
To: <linux-audio-user@...>
Date: Thursday, January 2, 2014 - 2:07 pm

On 02/01/14 13:32, Robin Gareus wrote:

I've never encountered bottom-posting outside of Linux mailing lists
(admittedly I'm not on any non-Linux mailing lists). Nobody has done it
in any place that I've worked, or at any other organisation that I've
communicated with by email, either privately or at work.

It would be ludicrous to have to scroll through months, maybe even
years, of earlier messages (which need to be there for context, to refer
to WHEN required) to get to what is the most important bit of
information -- the latest bit, the thing that the person is saying now

IF context is needed, then you scroll down and further down if you need
more. But how often is it necessary to read the context each and every
message? Why this insistence on the maximum amount of effort -- lots and
lots of scrolling -- just to read a reply?

It's often not worth the effort of reading a lot of replies on the list
due to having to scroll past loads of earlier messages. It's
bottom-posting that's confusing and that manufactured example of why
top-posting is supposedly confusing is begging the question.

I know Julien always said that bottom-posting was an unpleasant
experience on a braille display.

It seems to me that the only problem is that bottom-posting clashes with
how people actually write messages in every other sphere of life -- it
(bottom-posting) is an outdated practice that needs to die and allow
mailing lists to move with the times.