Re: [LAU] linux compatible USB Audio Interface

From: jwind <wind@...>
To: <linux-audio-user@...>
Date: Friday, August 9, 2013 - 9:09 am

--------------080009080906010602020908

just for completeness:
after checking out the scarlett 18i8 with another system (a
dual-core-netbook)
i have some not so nice drop-outs in playback, which not seem to be related
to any latency settings. (-
tried to debug a bit, but could not find any errors in kernel- or device
logs;
does anyone know a good practice how to filter this?
thanks james for that hint.
j ,.

On 08.08.2013 20:59, Victor A. Stoichita wrote:

--------------080009080906010602020908

just for completeness:
after checking out the scarlett 18i8 with another system (a
dual-core-netbook)
i have some not so nice drop-outs in playback, which not seem to
be related
to any latency settings. (-
tried to debug a bit, but could not find any errors in kernel- or
device logs;
does anyone know a good practice how to filter this?
thanks james for that hint.
j ,.

On 08.08.2013 20:59, Victor A. Stoichita wrote:

On 8 August 2013 00:51, Danni Coy <danni.coy@gmail.com>
wrote:

the Komplete Audio 6 is plug and play on Linux. It 4
inputs though only two have preamps and is bus powered.
The bundled native instruments software will run under
wine as a windows VST which is a bonus.

Interesting! I'm also loking  for a USB 2 interface and
the KA6 seems to fit my needs. It is advertised as being
capable of very low latencies. Did you have any experience
of this on linux ?

Regards,
Victor

On Thu, Aug 8, 2013 at 4:38
AM, James Stone <jamesmstone@gmail.com>
wrote:

On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 3:42 PM, William
Light <wrl@illest.net>
wrote:
> occhi,
> any particular reason you want an
interface with a separate power plug?
> USB bus power will do most of what you
want.

> personally, i currently have a focusrite
scarlett 2i2, and the 2i4 may
> suit your needs. the 2i2 is good, sounds
fine, good latency.

I have a 2i4 - it only has 2 inputs though (as
the name suggests). It
is an excellent device overall, but I have been
having some serious
teething troubles with kernel releases over 3.5.
I am providing bug
reports to the kernel devs and these problems
(not being able to start
at low latencies, audio system locking up) seem
to be slowly being
addressed, but performance is not quite there
yet for me, and I would
suggest if you decided to get one of these
devices, and are affected
by these bugs, you might experience less pain
using the earlier 3.5
series kernels for now. I think that this
problem is not just limited
to the scarlett devices, and that other USB
audio devices may be
similarly affected. Also, I think these issues
may also be
USB-hardware (or BIOS?) dependent, so some
people with the same kernel
and audio device may not experience the same
bugs.

James

--------------080009080906010602020908--