Re: [LAU] Terrible mic ground noise

From: <jonetsu@...>
To: <linux-audio-user@...>
Date: Sunday, March 31, 2013 - 4:25 pm

Le 31-03-2013 11:02, Len Ovens a écrit :

> Where does the mic get its power from? The M-Audio pulsar is a

> From what you have said above and from looking up the HW you are

That must be the problem then. The higher the volume, the higher the
'ground' noise.

>> The electric plug has only two prongs. I though of getting some

> What electric plug?

The one to which the computer stuff is connected. The house plug.
Which is not a plug, but a box. That one does not have a ground wire as
others do. The two-AC plastic socket unit has no ground wire.

> However, assuming you have just described your setup incorrectly...

Thanks for the information ! Indeed the problem now is that the Pulsar
has no power. I shoudl start there. I've been using it for a long time
like that ! ;-)) (or should it be: :-(() Was having fun though making
music, but the noise was annoying.

Obviously I know nothing about those phantom power units. Which one
would you recommend ? Will it simply be in the XLR path: mic -> power
-> 1010LT ?

Also, now the passive DI box can be put to some other use. Would it
accept the 1/4" output of a small VOX guitar amplifier ? What would be
the difference in sound characteristics between using a DI box to the
1010LT 2nd XLR input vs. not using one and connecting the same VOX
output to a regular 10101LT input ?