[LAU] Building Audio from a Server Core?

From: <grekimj@...>
To: <linux-audio-user@...>
Date: Thursday, February 28, 2013 - 3:01 am

On Wed 27/02/13 5:33 PM , "Len Ovens" len@ovenwerks.net sent:

This would be for the sole purpose of audio, and GUI-less ones at that. I also like the idea of being able to carry a studio on a flash drive...sort of amazing. Another machine would have Ardour etc. I
came across the "server core" terminology from the Lubuntu alternate downloads area. So, my impression was a server system is a bit more raw and basic than a desktop system and going with a "core"
version of that would be almost as basic as it gets. I know there are distros tuned for audio, but I honestly don't like all the extra stuff I don't need.

> > I installed Lubuntu server core to a usb flash

I noticed when running my software that the playback variables are set correctly through Alsa calls, but the record ones are not. It's just the first time the (Presonus) Audiobox has not initialized properly
on probably a dozen systems I have tried it on. I'm assuming the kernel should be the same between a server and a desktop. I works fine on the same 12.04 desktop/Unity version. I wasn't sure if we
needed to run modules or set something a certain way to tap audio capability in a server system. Again, doesn't have to be a sever system at all. I just thought it might be closer to what I am after to
begin with.

> So what are you trying to achieve? And how? It would be easy to tell

Thanks for the help :) See above about the goal here. But again, I crave simplicity and I like to build a system around a specific task and not have one machine do everything.