Re: [LAU] [OT] Looking for a Welsh folksong but can't spell it :-(

From: Q <lists@...>
To: <linux-audio-user@...>
Date: Wednesday, February 13, 2013 - 11:42 pm

Is there a snippet of the song in the audiobook?

A quick googling shows that the well-known folk song The Ash Grove is
Welsh, being called Llwyn Onn. According to Wikipedia "It tells of a
sailor's love for "Gwen of Llwyn". This sounds a bit of a stretch though
as it is well known as The Ash Grove.

Aha, this looks more like it... I also found mention of one called
Gwenno Fwyn (Gentle Gwen). Sadly the only videos on YouTube are all a
rockish rendition by a band called Erland and the Carnival. I did find
a midi file of the tune on a Welsh folk song website though.

Take all this with a pinch of slate dust: IANWAKNAFM -- I am not Welsh
and know nothing about folk music :-)