Re: [LAU] Linux compatible keybord controller?

From: Q <lists@...>
To: <linux-audio-user@...>
Date: Tuesday, December 31, 2013 - 12:06 pm

On 31/12/13 11:40, Moshe Werner wrote:

Hi Moshe

What do you need -- just keys, or knobs and sliders as well? Weighted or
synth-action keybed?

I think most controllers, if they're class compliant MIDI-over-USB, just
work.

I had a Roland PCR80 but I'll steer clear of Roland stuff in future. For
a start they have a joystick rather than separate mod- and pitch-wheels.
Second, and they may have fixed this now, they were notorious for
developing dead keys. I tried the common fix but this didn't work and I
couldn't be bothered emailing Roland UK to send me new rubber contact
strips.

I got the PCR because I needed knobs, sliders and buttons to control
softsynths, but I use mostly hardware synths these days so I don't miss it.

I have an M-Audio Keystation 88. It's "weighted", that is, the keys have
springs on them so it has more resistance and feels more piano-like.
It's not perfect but it's good enough to be able to play a sampled piano
expressively (something I couldn't do with a synth-action 'board). It
does have the ability to change MIDI channels and stuff like that, but
it's a question of remembering which of the black and white keys to hold
down in conjunction with the function button. So, it's basic but does
the job and is still going strong.

As examples of class compliance, the controller I use most because it's
always to hand is my Moog Little Phatty. IIRC my DSI Mopho Keyboard
"just works" as well.

HTH