Re: [LAU] [Music] Prog supergroup's first outings

From: Q <lists@...>
To: linux-audio-user <linux-audio-user@...>
Date: Monday, November 25, 2013 - 9:57 am

On 2013-11-24 23:26, Bob van der Poel wrote:

No problem, many thanks for listening and commenting.

>> https://soundcloud.com/quirq-uk/julius-quintus-as-a-cloud

I'm glad you liked it, despite my crappy flute playing.

Tone sadly never was one of my strong points (along with vibrato,
breath control, technique... ;-) ) and certainly isn't these days as I
don't play or practice anywhere near often enough.

I'd always intended practicing the part more and doing a better take
when I wasn't so tired: I seem to recall my lungs being on their very
last legs so to speak when I recorded it. I was definitely running out
of air at various points, but I've never had good lung fitness even when
I played regularly.

There are parts where the tone is okay, but a lot of it is far too
breathy for my liking. I suspect the "good" tone bits might be the ones
that you find a bit harsh. Some of the runs were certainly not as fluid
as they could've been. I did learn from the experience that it's not a
good idea to try writing, practicing AND recording a wind part all in
one go!

Again, glad you enjoyed it. Whilst I am a keyboard player, I do find it
necessary to counter Julien so that ruled out more keyboard parts and it
wouldn't have been his worst Floydian nightmare with anything other than
guitar, so I had to oblige :-D

But the choice of instrument came first and the melody second. I'm not
sure a flute solo would've been big and epic enough for the piece,
certainly not with my skill level. A Jaxon or Collins-esque solo
could've worked nicely.

>> No capes, Persian rugs, curries, knives or ice rinks were harmed

Yeah, I'm not really a curry-eater either and people tend to assume you
are in this part of the world. I'll never give Wakeman a run for his
money in the keyboard stakes either :-D