[LAU] RME Fireface UCX with new firmware finally recording in debian

From: drz <drz@...>
To: <linux-audio-user@...>
Date: Tuesday, October 1, 2013 - 9:48 pm

My dear Linux Audio Users

I upgraded the firmware in my Fireface UCX yesterday.

In the Release Notes I saw this...:

"Fireface UCX:

V 42/220/23/4: Class Compliant: full 18 channels, choice of 2 playback
routings (C8/CA)"

I thought I should give it another try in debian Linux wheezy as they changed
something in the class-compliant mode.

And what can I say ... its now recording in Audacity in stereo (channel 1+2).
So if I plug in two mics, I can record! yippieh

So heres what I did: (I hope I remember all steps)

1.) I followed some Howto, I cant remember where I found it, but I created a
.pulse folder in my ~-Folder

Then I pasted these files in the ~/.pulse Folder:

File default.pa:
load-module module-native-protocol-unix
load-module module-jack-sink channels=2
load-module module-jack-source channels=2
load-module module-null-sink
load-module module-stream-restore
load-module module-rescue-streams
load-module module-always-sink
load-module module-suspend-on-idle
set-default-sink jack_out
set-default-source jack_in

#I think I will play with module-jack-source channels=2 to get more input
# channels

File daemon.conf:
sample-format = float32le
default-sample-rate = 48000
realtime-scheduling = yes
exit-idle-time = -1

2.) I logged out of KDE and logged back in

3.) Then I started qjackctl
In the options I chose Input and Output Device hw1 Fireface UCX

4.) Next I started jackd, by clicking start.

5.) I chose a CC setup in the Fireface UCX I created before in Totalmix to
have Phantom Power on both Inputs, by searching SU and then choosing the right
seetup number (refer to the Firefox-manual).

6.) Finally I started Audacity and ..... it was recording both inputs

Yeah!

If I check 96000 Hz in jackd-options, audacity shows 96000 Hz, too, and if I
export it as a wav-file the metadata tells me its 96 kHz, wow! And it sounds
like it, too ;)

greetz & have fun
drz