[LAU] Fwd: Debian desktop news

To: Linux Audio Users <linux-audio-user@...>
Date: Thursday, August 9, 2012 - 11:25 am

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Dan MacDonald
Date: Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 12:24 PM
Subject: Re: [LAU] Debian desktop news
To: gnome@hawaii.rr.com

On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 11:27 AM, david wrote:

Yep - agreed on that one and its why I would suggest GMaq look
elsewhere for a desktop as AV Linux is fantastic otherwise.

PCManFM is not much use to me as it doesn't handle video thumbnails
like ROX filer does and thats one of the few reasons I open a GUI file
manager instead of just doinf everything from the terminal. rox is
also more mature and I've never come across a bug in it. My only
slight quibble is you can't copy files via right click but considering
thats my only gripe, its great!

Which brings me onto my second point - I only consider there to be 2
desktops now. KDE if you have AT LEAST 1GB RAM (but really it needs
two to be comfortable) and you want a flashy desktop with most of the
features Win7 and OSX users expect. If you have 1GB RAM or less its
XFCE or a customised fluxbox/openbox/awesome desktop jobby like I've
done with rox.

Android has got the tablet and phone Linux GUI environment market all
sewn up so I don't see what GNOME 3 offers to anyone other than pain,
lack of respect for its users opinions (Hi Miguel, Mono and MS
sabotage!) and resource consumption.

Thanks for the tip! I'll give Thunar another go with gvfs turned off
and maybe I'll return to that over ROX as Thunar does do automounting
of disks better than rox.