Re: [LAU] jackd and alsa devices

To: <linux-audio-user@...>
Date: Tuesday, June 26, 2012 - 3:42 pm

--------------040608040805050603010806

On 26/06/2012 16:25, Danni Coy wrote:

Hi Danni,

Another approach is to force the ALSA (or actually the kernel) to assign
persistent indexes to your cards. This is done through modprobe options.
See the post here

(in French).
Basically, you edit (and/or create) /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf to
look like this:

options snd-usb-audio index=0 # this ensures that your usb card
comes in first
options snd-hda-intel index=1 # if you have an intel card...

You can list all the modules which are used by sound devices on your
computer by running " sudo lsmod | grep snd" this into a terminal. You
can set the index number for all of them, and then Jack should find them
always in the same place. This works even for software were you only
have a dropdown list with card index numbers (where method in
http://jackaudio.org/device_naming does not work).

If you have several usb cards, they will all use snd-usb-audio, but you
can still preset their indexes by specifying vendor/product numbers...
This is explained in detail in the post mentioned above. Please tell me
if you need an English translation.

After editing /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf, make sure you either rmmod
then modprobe the corresponding modules, or reboot.

Good luck,
Victor

--------------040608040805050603010806

On 26/06/2012 16:25, Danni Coy wrote:

Thanks looks like I need to look at what it would take
to have the gui front end (Cadence) behave this way by default

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 10:31 PM, Jari
Suominen <jari.ak.suominen@gmail.com>

2012/6/26 Danni Coy <danni.coy@gmail.com>:

> I have only been using jackd with the
alsa back end for a short amount of
> time (been a ffado user for many years). I am also
dealing with a friends
> cheap laptop which is having issues; basically the
order of the alsa devices
> is changing with every boot which means I have to
configure jack every time
> I want to use it.
>
> Is there any way to get jack to remember the
description of the device
> rather than the number and search for that
description on startup (then use
> the device number if that fails). This would seem
to me like a much saner