Re: [LAU] using linux to manage your gigs?

To: <linux-audio-user@...>
Date: Sunday, May 13, 2012 - 4:12 pm

--20cf3011e05d32a3d204bfed3bfc

On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 7:22 PM, Frits van der Holst <
frits@van-der-holst.com> wrote:

> Hi Josh,

If emacs is ok with you, you may look at orgmode's
- links http://orgmode.org/manual/Hyperlinks.html
- properties http://orgmode.org/manual/Properties-and-Columns.html

> Organizing with sub folders for genre or type is simply not enough.

--20cf3011e05d32a3d204bfed3bfc

On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 7:22 PM, Frits van der H=
Hi Josh,
Message: 5
Date: Sat, 12 May 2012 15:16:11 -0500
From: Josh Lawrence <hardbop200@gmail.com>
Subject: [LAU] using linux to manage your gigs?
To: Linux-audio-user@lists.linuxaudio.org

hi list,

this is one of my busiest times of the year for gigging; I'm usually pl=
aying at least once a week, and sometimes multiple times a week. =A0there a=
re a couple of things I'm frustrated about:

* my song lists are all on paper. =A0they have no information about the son=
g at all. =A0it would be nice to be able to sort by key, genre (rock, pop, =
r&b, motown, etc.). =A0it would be nice if calling up the song called u=
p the chord chart, which brings me to my next point?

* I looked through many presentation softwares, chord chart management, etc=
. =A0they all seem focused on the church crowd. =A0I need something *simple=
*. =A0I choose a song, and the chart that I have available for it (either t=
ext or pdf or whatever) is displayed in a split window.

ok, that's what I want, and no one gets what they want. =A0:) =A0so, I&=
#39;m open to any and all ideas. =A0what do you use? =A0do you manage your =
set lists with linux? =A0chord charts? =A0I tried the whole "thinking =
outside the box" and looked for maybe some file management software, b=
ut I got overwhelmed quickly. =A0any and all ideas are welcome.

I am kind of in the same problem. Having a fold=
er full of .txt, .pdf, or tiff, or .png files all holding chord structures,=
sheet music etc.. Stuff for one band, stuff for another band, stuff for le=
ssons etc..

If emacs is ok with you, you may look at =
orgmode's- links http://orgmode.org/manual/Hyperlinks.html- properties http://orgmode.o=
rg/manual/Properties-and-Columns.html

=A0Organizing with sub folders for genre or type is simply not=
enough.
I am playing around with Tellico a generic collection manager with some tem=
plates for all kinds of collections (stamps, coins, files, etc..). It's=
fairly easy to make your own collection with fields for, for example, key,=
genre, type etc..

It allows for having (file) URL's so when you have found what you need =
in the catalog you can open the file directly. Tellico is in the Ub=
untu repositories.Hope this helps.
Frits van der Holst

--20cf3011e05d32a3d204bfed3bfc--