[LAU] Fwd: Music made in Neil

To: <linux-audio-user@...>
Date: Thursday, April 26, 2012 - 8:07 am

--bcaec554d98afe5a0204be907608

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Vytautas Jancauskas
Date: Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 1:02 AM
Subject: Re: [LAU] Music made in Neil
To: James Mckernon

I'm not sure what you mean by stable :) As for actually crashing I almost
never have it do that, and if I do, I fix it quickly. Other people do
report it crashing so maybe I have just learned to unconsciously walk
around dangerous situations. I think it is stable enough to make complete
tracks in. It is probably not yet stable enough for live work. It also
depends greatly on which machines you use. If you use only time tested
stuff you are unlikely to run in to any problems. Also the file format is
xml based and everytime you save a backup is made. So even if the file gets
corrupted it can be restored either by restoring from backup or editting
the xml back to sanity. I think Neils main advantage is that you get a lot
of working synthesizers and effects. So it is more or less an all inclusive
deal. In fact being able to instantly use it to make complicated music
without installing anything else is a design goal (even though it is
probably contrary to UNIX philosophy).

--
"Cheshire-Puss," she began, "would you tell me, please,
which way I ought to go from here?"

--
"Cheshire-Puss," she began, "would you tell me, please,
which way I ought to go from here?"
"That depends a good deal on where you want to get to," said the Cat.
"I don't care much where--" said Alice.
"Then it doesn't matter which way you go," said the Cat.

--bcaec554d98afe5a0204be907608

---------- Fo=
rwarded message ----------From: Vytautas =
Jancauskas <u=
naudio@gmail.com

Date: Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 1:02 AMSubject: Re: [LAU] Music made in Neil=
To: James Mckernon <jmckernon=
@gmail.com
>I'm not sure w=
hat you mean by stable :) As for actually crashing I almost never have it d=
o that, and if I do, I fix it quickly. Other people do report it crashing s=
o maybe I have just learned to unconsciously walk around dangerous situatio=
ns. I think it is stable enough to make complete tracks in. It is probably =
not yet stable enough for live work. It also depends greatly on which machi=
nes you use. If you use only time tested stuff you are unlikely to run in t=
o any problems. Also the file format is xml based and everytime you save a =
backup is made. So even if the file gets corrupted it can be restored eithe=
r by restoring from backup or editting the xml back to sanity. I think Neil=
s main advantage is that you get a lot of working synthesizers and effects.=
So it is more or less an all inclusive deal. In fact being able to instant=
ly use it to make complicated music without installing anything else is a d=
esign goal (even though it is probably contrary to UNIX philosophy).

On Thu, Apr 26, 2=
012 at 12:48 AM, James Mckernon <jmckernon@gmail.com> wrot=
e:

Hi,These =
pieces are great! Thanks for demonstrating the capabilities of Neil - a pro=
gram I have long been interested in checking out, but haven't yet got a=
round to. (I am, as you suggest, an electronic musician making music purely=
with my computer.)

I currently use Renoise, which I think is a great tracker, but I feel i=
t lacks one thing which I would love to have: a more flexible (modular?) ap=
proach to signal routing. For that reason, I'm interested in trying ou=
t Buzz-like trackers. I spent some time using Buzztard, but unfortunately I=
eventually came to feel that it hasn't yet reached a sufficient level =
of stability for serious work. May I ask how stable Neil currently is? I&=
#39;ll certainly consider giving it a try at some point, in any case.

Cheers,JOn Wed, Apr 25=
, 2012 at 10:20 PM, Vytautas Jancauskas <unaudio@gmail.com> =
wrote:

I compiled a little list of music people composed using Neilhttps://sites.google.com/site/neilseque=
ncer/music/music-by-other-people

As you can see, Neil can be of good use to people who m=
ake electronic music using the computer alone. Enjoy the tracks and if you =
are in to that kind of thing musically check Neil out.