Re: [LAU] [Music] Piano piece

From: Q <lists@...>
To: linux-audio-user <linux-audio-user@...>
Date: Tuesday, April 10, 2012 - 9:03 pm

Hi Julien!

Many thanks for listening.

I suppose, compared with my other output, it is a bit different. I
deliberately sat down to write a piano only composition, to pick up an
idea or two from another piece that I thought might work solo rather
than as a band piece (yes, I have recycled a couple of themes from
elsewhere).

Whilst there are a lot of lush chords in there and a bit of rubato, I
was trying not to get into a romantic, schmaltzy feel -- I suppose I was
aiming for a romantic sound withou an over-the-top romantic feel, so it
sounds as though I was on the right track.

Well, the mood I was aiming for was emotional and a sense of melancholy
or loss (although not romantic), so perhaps connotations of romanticism
in emotion are not misplaced.

It's the fact that I have a much wider dynamic range with my left hand
but it so easily becomes too heavy -- I wish I had the same heaviness
and sensitivity in the right hand to get the range and also counteract
the left. I could do with a piano that is left sensitive to bass or has
a compressed upper dynamic. I did EQ out some of the bottom end, partly
for distance and partly to counter the leaden hand.

From a compositional point of view, I always find the left hand
difficult because these days I'm so used to playing monphonic synths and
using the left hand for mod- and pitchwheel rather than actual notes.

There's definitely some very odd chords and enharmonic changes in there.
Ultimately it's pretty simple though, all C major ;-) I'm glad you liked it.

Many thanks again for taking the trouble to listen and comment.

Best wishes