[LAU] [Fwd: Re: RTC/HPET timer permissions]

To: linux-audio-user <linux-audio-user@...>
Date: Tuesday, November 27, 2012 - 1:04 pm

My MUA is broken :(.

-------- Forwarded Message --------
From: Ralf Mardorf
To: linux-audio-user@lists.linuxaudio.org
Subject: Re: [LAU] RTC/HPET timer permissions
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2012 13:53:34 +0100

On Tue, 2012-11-27 at 12:54 +0100, Jeremy Jongepier wrote:

Yes, that's my experience. Perhaps it's tickless vs not tickless
regarding to IRQ handling of the hardware MIDI or simply the very high
resolution. A coder might give us some insight.

For MIDI internal Linux I guess there are no layers, excepted of bridges
between ALSA and JACK that might cause issues. perhaps I'm mistaken, but
I never noticed an issue for a stable DAW.

> > Usually system timer (default) is the best way to go,

MIDI jitter.

> linuxmusicians.com Wiki

Take care to keep backwards compatibility, some people e.g. still use 64
Studio.

Other stuff at the moment is in a transition state. You never know what
services to start and stop by /etc/init.d/foo and what by the command
"service".

Better wait with editing until we all are forced to use GNOME3 or Unity
with hard dependencies to upstart or systemd, sorry I couldn't resist,
since current Xfce at the moment is a PITA and the upstream situation
makes me taking a look at FreeBSD now, of cause not for audio and MIDI,
but I will test this too.

Regards,
Ralf