Re: [LAU] Ubuntu slowing down when using Ardour

To: Brett McCoy <idragosani@...>, Aurélien Leblond <blablack@...>
Cc: Neil C Smith <neil@...>, <linux-audio-user@...>
Date: Monday, November 19, 2012 - 8:19 pm

------_=_NextPart_001_01CDC693.3923C60E

-----Original Message-----
From: linux-audio-user-bounces@lists.linuxaudio.org on behalf of Brett =
McCoy
Sent: Mon 11/19/2012 20:43
Are you using plain vanilla Ubuntu or Ubuntu Studio? If you want to do
audio & video work, you should use Ubuntu Studio, the stock kernel
will work correctly with jackd if you want to use the realtime
scheduling

Ubuntu Studio Quantal ships with Xfce4.

I've got an Ubuntu Studio Quantal install and issues with some "desktop" =
apps.
Right now I set up Ubuntu Quantal, while I kept Ubuntu Studio Quantal.
Yes, audio is ok for Ubuntu Studio, but e.g. Evolution fails, however,
it's always possible to install the studio meta packages to any other =
Ubuntu install.
It's the same for the kernel-lowlatency and even building a kernel-rt =
isn't hard to do.

Pff, Unity IMO is the most worse desktop environment I've ever seen.
I suspect that somebody who likes Unity, would have a very unusual audio =
production work-flow,
so any recommendation might be counterproductive regarding to the OP's =
needs.

Regards,
Ralf