Re: [LAU] OT: New i7 rig, Gfx card recomendations and more.

To: <arnold@...>, <linux-audio-user@...>
Date: Tuesday, October 30, 2012 - 12:54 pm

--_6c2aeb2c-8886-42be-a38b-1336c1068bed_

Date: Sat=2C 27 Oct 2012 22:19:39 +0200
From: arnold@arnoldarts.de
To: linux-audio-user@lists.linuxaudio.org
Subject: Re: [LAU] OT: New i7 rig=2C Gfx card recomendations and more.

On Wed=2C 24 Oct 2012 10:46:49 +0000 Kaza Kore
wrote:

Regarding the raid5:
http://www.miracleas.com/BAARF/
=20
And we (as the business I work for) have dismissed hw-raid in general.
A while back you only got problems if your controller broke and you
didn't have the same again. Nowadays you even get problems when you
update the firmware of the controller (or when your cold-standby
doesn't have the correct fw-version). Just stay away from it.

With something that is going to be quite so mobile I really preferably=20
do want to be running the OS off a RAIDed drive! Sure I could use a=20
single drive and regularly ghost it to a backup one at home but this=20
isn't going to help me if it gets damaged on the way to a party. Well=20
guess it might if I also take the spare and backup after every event...=20
RAID seems so much more suited to the job though!
=20
For the Mobo: Use something from a brand known for quality. Asus might
do okayish laptops=2C their boards are almost as crap as asrock. For an
intel-system=2C why not use an intel board? The higher price is _small_
when you take the higher quality into account. High-quality boards
last much longer and work better.

Asus known as being shit? I admit I haven't done much researched into=20
hardware since I built my last desktop I think in 2001 and that definitely=
=20
didn't seem to be the consensus then. And it seems weird that we would=20
chose a known poor component for video ingest servers which are to be on=20
24/7=2C although it is already the third revision of the build. So what=20
would you recommend?
=20
PCI is dead=2C any graphics card with linux-support is good. Now the
salesman in me takes over: intel is actively supporting the
linux-community also in the graphics field=2C not like nvidia. Yes=2C we
are an intel-reseller. We only see other hardware when its broken and
the customers want us to fix it or get the data of from it.
=20
Yeah PCI is definitely on the way out! But dead just yet? Almost every=20
board I've looked at has at least 1 for legacy reasons. I guess the same=20
was true for ISA for a while after PCI came out though and those were=20
gone off 99% of boards many years ago... My thoughts were more trying=20
to ensure that the support for the PCIe version of the HDSP card was as=20
supported as the PCI version.

So I will look at an ATI card then :-)

Although I am slightly leaning towards trying to get my old P4 computer=20
back up and working and see quite how underpowered for what I want to do=20
it turns out to be. I think the graphics card is the only fully dead compon=
ent...

Cheers to everybody who has responded.

Dale.
=

--_6c2aeb2c-8886-42be-a38b-1336c1068bed_

Date: Sat=2C 27 Oct 2012 22:19:39 +0200From: arnold@arnoldarts.de<=
br>To: linux-audio-user@lists.linuxaudio.orgSubject: Re: [LAU] OT: New =
i7 rig=2C Gfx card recomendations and more.On Wed=2C 24 Oct 20=
12 10:46:49 +0000 Kaza Kore &lt=3Bdj_kaza@hotmail.com&gt=3Bwrote:&g=
t=3B TL/DR:&gt=3B Z68 - works with RAID5 on SATA2 ports OK?&gt=3B R=
ME HDSP card - PCI or PCIe?&gt=3B Gfx card recommendations??&gt=3B =
Or persuade me to go for a cheaper rig as I probably don't really&gt=3B=
need all that...&gt=3B &gt=3B Regards=2C Dale.&gt=3B =
Regarding the raid5:http://www.miracleas.com/BAARF/ And we (as th=
e business I work for) have dismissed hw-raid in general.A while back y=
ou only got problems if your controller broke and youdidn't have the sa=
me again. Nowadays you even get problems when youupdate the firmware of=
the controller (or when your cold-standbydoesn't have the correct fw-v=
ersion). Just stay away from it.=
With something that is going to be quite so mobile I really preferably =
do want to be running the OS off a RAIDed drive! Sure I could use a sin=
gle drive and regularly ghost it to a backup one at home but this isn't=
going to help me if it gets damaged on the way to a party. Well guess =
it might if I also take the spare and backup after every event... RAID =
seems so much more suited to the job though! For the Mobo: U=
se something from a brand known for quality. Asus mightdo okayish lapto=
ps=2C their boards are almost as crap as asrock. For anintel-system=2C =
why not use an intel board? The higher price is _small_when you take th=
e higher quality into account. High-quality boardslast much longer and =
work better.Asus known as being =
shit? I admit I haven't done much researched into hardware since I buil=
t my last desktop I think in 2001 and that definitely didn't seem to be=
the consensus then. And it seems weird that we would chose a known poo=
r component for video ingest servers which are to be on 24/7=2C althoug=
h it is already the third revision of the build. So what would you reco=
mmend? PCI is dead=2C any graphics card with linux-support i=
s good. Now thesalesman in me takes over: intel is actively supporting =
thelinux-community also in the graphics field=2C not like nvidia. Yes=
=2C weare an intel-reseller. We only see other hardware when its broken=
andthe customers want us to fix it or get the data of from it. Yeah PCI is definitely on the way out! =
But dead just yet? Almost every board I've looked at has at least 1 for=
legacy reasons. I guess the same was true for ISA for a while after PC=
I came out though and those were gone off 99% of boards many years ago.=
.. My thoughts were more trying to ensure that the support for the PCIe=
version of the HDSP card was as supported as the PCI version.S=
o I will look at an ATI card then :-)Although I am slightly leaning=
towards trying to get my old P4 computer back up and working and see q=
uite how underpowered for what I want to do it turns out to be. I think=