Re: [LAU] Music made with Linux: "Heavy Head"

From: Q <lists@...>
Cc: <linux-audio-user@...>
Date: Sunday, June 19, 2011 - 5:44 pm

Roberto Suarez Soto wrote:

I, too, thought it might be interesting to have a go at trying to mix
this. Thanks for the files, Roberto: it's been an interesting experience
(and practice) for me as I have never mixed anything other than my own
work before now.

Here are the audiofiles:

FLAC [19.0 MB]: www.quirq.ukfsn.org/HeavyHead_Q-mix_19-06-11.flac
OGG7 [3.9 MB]: www.quirq.ukfsn.org/HeavyHead_Q-mix_19-06-11.ogg
MP3 [7.1 MB]: www.quirq.ukfsn.org/HeavyHead_Q-mix_19-06-11.mp3

I purposefully didn't read Jostein's posts until just now (sorry about
that!) as I didn't want to be influenced in any way. I agree with what
he said.

(I just saw enough to be tipped off about the mute group issue with the
drums though, so I sorted that out. I don't normally use the
randomisation features in Hyrdrogen, preferring to humanise things in
the way that I programme them, but for speed I just dialled up the
knobs, which means there are some odd bits of emphasis here and there.)

I didn't bother doing any editing to tighten up the performances and
compensate for the fluffed notes and timing issues as it would have
taken a lot of time. I'd do that sort of thing on my own music as a
matter of course; I know how to edit, but mixing practice always comes
in useful.

I can't say I'm particularly fond of the drum kit used, on close listen
the samples sound quite noisy. I found the project difficult to mix
because of the effects already on most of the instruments, but that
didn't stop me from adding more anyway! I just did what I would normally
do and it's not often that I print effects. I'm not totally happy with
my mix as it's a bit too wet, with the recorded delays, my delays and
reverbs all piling up.

I found it hard to work on for any length of time as there is a lot of
high frequency energy, which soon tired my ears. There was more HF than
I'm used to working with, I can only assume that this was added my the
effects processing that the parts were recorded through.

Personally, I think there was too much distortion used on the guitar
parts, some of which could have done with being cleaner, in my opinion,
without being detrimental to the style of music. I think this probably
added to all the HF energy. Some cleaner passages would also have added
a bit more variety to the overall arc of the piece, certainly in the way
that I've mixed it.

I strayed into a few areas of production: I added a hi-hat count in (not
entirely sure I actually like it, but I left it in), moved the guitar
slide, ditched a rhythm part that I felt was cluttering up one section a
bit and performed some edits (using automation) on the drums at the end.

I've also uploaded my Ardour session for people to look at (172 MB).
You'll need LV2-enabled and the Invada plugins and EQ10Q in addition to
more common plugins like TAP and (IIRC) some SWH.

www.quirq.ukfsn.org/Heavy_Head_Q.tar.bz2

Thanks again Roberto for giving me some much-needed mixing practice. And
keep on rocking!

A musical collaborator: "Lethargy, hm really? Then it will be time for
me to get over there and just accidental idea the $h!t out of you"