Re: [LAU] Until now Debian seems to be the right decision :), better performance than Ubuntu

To: Simon Wise <simonzwise@...>, Robin Gareus <robin@...>
Cc: <linux-audio-user@...>
Date: Tuesday, May 31, 2011 - 11:41 am

On Tue, 2011-05-31 at 12:26 +0800, Simon Wise wrote:

I only can use Jack2 from svn, if it shouldn't be available, than I'll
build it myself. This is regarding to hw MIDI jitter. Only Jack2 is hard
real-time capable regarding to this issue.

> Debian installs with only the 'main' archives enabled. First thing to do is add

Ok.

> The inclusion of jack2 was done in such a way that you can switch between them,

Ok. Might be the same style as for Ubuntu, hence I'll build dummy
packages and install Jack2 from svn. No big deal.

> So - if you want to use the current DAW packages that are part of debian,

*?* I don't need Jack from a repository, I just asked, because this
would be less work.

> Definitely DO NOT use http://www.debian-multimedia.org, the changes it makes to

This is the list Robin did post:

# SQUEEZE
deb http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main contrib non-free
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main contrib
non-free
deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org squeeze main
deb-src http://www.debian-multimedia.org squeeze main

# WHEEZY
deb http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/ wheezy main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/ wheezy main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main contrib non-free
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ wheezy/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org wheezy main
deb-src http://www.debian-multimedia.org wheezy main

# SID
deb http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/ sid main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/ sid main contrib non-free
deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org sid main
deb-src http://www.debian-multimedia.org sid main

> For using those codecs install an alternative distribution like Mint and chroot

And here they are, the issues:

From: Andrei Popescu
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Until now Debian seems to be the right decision :),
better performance than Ubuntu
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 09:00:43 +0300

On Lu, 30 mai 11, 19:14:58, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> For Debian I still need to set up a xorg.conf,

Why do you think so?

Regards,
Andrei

Hi Andrei :)

I don't think so, it's a declarative statement.
I guess nobody wish to have a vertically frequency of 60Hz ;), it's not
very pleasant to look into a stroboscope. In addition I wish to be able
to select the screen resolution I like, 1152x864 @ 90Hz.

Then I have several needs and need several drivers. I'm used to switch
the drivers automatically at startup, by adding

rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf
case $(uname -r) in
*rt*)
cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf.nv /etc/X11/xorg.conf
;;
*)
cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf.nvidia /etc/X11/xorg.conf
;;
esac

to /etc/rcS.d.

At the moment I urgently need help regarding to xorg.conf or any other
solution that enables me to select the driver, and to get 1152x864 @
90Hz.

The graphics is a NVIDIA GeForce 7200 GS aka 7300 SE. The CRT monitor is
an Lifetec/Medion MD1998JB J91B.

I never had issues with old Debian/Ubuntu and Suse installs. I ordered
some new gear, a RME HDSPe AIO sound card + a 8 analog IO ADAT device
and some other stuff. It was delivered yesterday, but it's still
packaged, because I'm unable to set up a new Linux DAW. Old Linux DAWs
are still available by backup archives ;).

At the moment for my Debian install, the mouse wheel isn't working, as
soon as I add a xorg.conf. Without an xorg.conf the mouse wheel seems to
work all the times. I stopped trying to use old xorg.confs.

I run Xorg -configure in recovery mode.

The mouse is a wired Trekker Wheel Mouse 2.0A PS/2.

This is what Xorg -configure generated

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "auto"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
EndSection

While for Ubuntu at least the frequency and resolution can be set by an
old xorg.conf, for Debian frequency and resolution are still not set :(.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Best,

Ralf