Re: [LAU] help with guitarix settings

From: Q <lists@...>
To: <linux-audio-user@...>
Date: Saturday, March 26, 2011 - 10:13 am

Cedric Roux wrote:

I'm not a Strat man and I'm not into modding guitars, so I don't know
anything much about it. I believe that people modify Strats so that the
middle pickup is "out of phase" with the other two -- sonically it only
has an effect in pickup positions 2 and 4 (that is, when two pickups are
used together). This is a permanent change, but on May's guitar the
switch changes between in phase and out of phase as I understand it.

I found an article about modding Strats this way which also mentions
May's Red Special:

http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2008/Nov/Phasing_Out_How_to_...

This is about the nearest I can be bothered getting,

1) Gibson Les Paul Studio, treble (bridge) pickup
2) Fender Stratocaster MIM, position 4 (middle and bridge pickups)
3) Yamaha SA503TVL (Gibson ES335 style semi-hollow with P90 single coil
pickups), middle and bridge pickups

All had the tone controls fully up (brightest sound), all played with a
2 mm pick for good attack.

Plugged into a Focusrite Platinum TwinTrak preamp, into an M-Audio
Audiophile 2496 soundcard, then through Guitarix and recorded in Ardour.

I'm fine using compressors and phasers with lots of controls when I'm
mixing, but I don't like that when I'm playing guitar, nor stereo
effects: effects pedals are usually simple with few knobs -- obviously
designed with guitarists in mind ;-) -- so I found Guitarix not to my
liking. I suppose I'm lucky that normally I can crank a real amp up
pretty loud and just stick a couple of mics in front of it.

I think I've saved the preset correctly, if not, let me know and I'll
tell you the settings manually. Here it is: www.quirq.ukfsn.org/BoRap_rc

Have fun