Re: [LAU] Music made with Linux: A Change of Heart, cover of El Perro Del Mars Original song

From: jy <jypllx@...>
To: Gabbe Nord <gabbe.nord@...>
Cc: <Linux-audio-user@...>
Date: Tuesday, March 22, 2011 - 9:03 pm

--0015173fe9bac3661c049f1892cc

Hi Gabbe,

I've been listening to it a few times and listening to the original. Well
what can I say ! You're cover is truly and by far better than the original
to me !
I really like the way you singer sings, there's some kind of controlled
lazyness and I love the way she intentionnaly stumbles on the rhythm...
I also agree with Jeremy, no tremelo, no vibrato, just plain simple : good
choice !

The sound is really good even though on my Hi-Fi the voici is a bit too
strong and tends to shadow the guitars sometimes.

but it's an excellent job : I'm considering loading it on my mp3 player...
things i don't do often because i'm too lazy :)

jy

2011/3/22 Gabbe Nord

> First of, thank you very much all for your kind words!! =)

--0015173fe9bac3661c049f1892cc

Hi Gabbe,I've been listening to it a few times and listening to=
the original. Well what can I say ! You're cover is truly and by far b=
etter than the original to me !I really like the way you singer sings, =
there's some kind of controlled lazyness and I love the way she intenti=
onnaly stumbles on the rhythm...

I also agree with Jeremy, no tremelo, no vibrato, just plain simple : good =
choice !The sound is really good even though on my Hi-Fi the voici =
is a bit too strong and tends to shadow the guitars sometimes.
but it's an excellent job : I'm considering loading it on my mp3 pl=
ayer... things i don't do often because i'm too lazy :)
jy2011/3/22 Gabbe Nord <gabbe.nord@gmail.com&g=
t;

First of, thank you very much all for your kind words!! =3D)About the g=
enerally *bad* mixing: I actually mixed this on regular old Creative-speake=
rs. Some of the guitars especially are boosted so much in the mid (to compe=
nsate for the speakers) that they probably will distort in some speakers. I=
could go back and remix it since I now have real monitors, but I feel as t=
he song kind of represents the skill level and mindset I had at that partic=
ular time. I like "glueing" a song to that specific time when it =
was fabricated =3D).

The FX-chain for the vocals is:Calf 12band EQ (just using the l=
owpass to eliminate unnecessary freqs under 100hz)Calf De-esserCalf=
CompressorCalf 12band EQ (regular song eq-work)Calf Vintage Delay<=
br>

FaderCalf Reverb All plugins from the Calf-git LV2 pack =3D)On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 1=
2:42 PM, Cedric Roux <sed@free.fr> wrote:

----- "Gabbe Nord" <gabbe.nord@gmail.com> wrote:

> All of the recording/mixing was made with Ardour and the Calf-git

Nice everything.
Too bad the saturation at some points.
What mike & preamp (if any) do you have (for the voice)?

Maybe you don't remember, but what effects did you put
on the voice (compressor, eq, reverb, what reverb software,
and so on)?

--0015173fe9bac3661c049f1892cc--