Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
thanks for sharing !
on your site i saw that you are using ubuntu studio.
did you have to tweak it or is it ubuntu studio OOTB ?
2011/12/9 Giorgio - Audiophilo
> tech question : can you tell us a bit more about your workflow?
follow me on my Audio & Linux blog !
Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1
thanks for sharing !on your site i saw that you are using ubuntu studi=
o.did you have to tweak it or is it ubuntu studio OOTB ?2011/12/9 Giorgio - Audiophilo <anomalsound@gmail.=
tech question : can you tell us a bit more about your workflow?First of all i'd like to start from a consid=
eration: there's a big work to do before recording, even before placing=
microphones. You must have a clear view of the final result before startin=
g with any operation IMHO.
For this work i started listening to the demos and picturing in my min=
d the sound of this band, then i talked to the guys, change some song struc=
ture and arrangements.=A0After this:
RecordingDrums:=A0As you can hear from the song the drums sound =
a bit electronic. To obtain this result i placed few microphones (bass drum=
, snare, hi-hat, tom 1, tom 2, floor tom, two overheads A/B figure), this b=
ecause i knew that i would have replaced the snare and the kick sound later=
so i didn't need great accuracy on those percussions.
Bass:=A0From the bass to the mixer and then sound card.=
Nothing special.Guitars:=A0From the guitars to t=
he mixer and then sound card. This is not a very common workflow, i'll =
Synths:=A0I wrote the parts on Muse and used some soft =
synth and also used some external hard synth.Voic=
e:=A0We made a very hard work on the voice since we put many parts together=
to obtain a certain harmony. Then the singer recorded with a condenser mic=
rophone an at 4040 if i recall well
EditingSince i wanted to obtain an overall e=
lectronic sound i wanted the instruments to play very "together" =
and tight so i did some surgical editing on the tracks with Ardour 2.8.11. =
I encountered some problem because it's well known that Ardour gets slo=
w (and sometimes crashes) when working with many many regions. To avoid thi=
s i reduced the hystory to 10 steps, i often consolidated regions and do so=
me "cleanup unused regions" as well. I also did some voice tuning=
with Fons Adriansen's Jretune.
Once everything was perfectly tight with the grid i started reamping t=
he bass and the guitars.ReampOnce i ha=
d the "perfect" guitars and bass takes, i sent the signals out fr=
om my sound card to a reamp box (i use this one http://www.radialeng.com/di-xamp.ht=
m) and then to some amps. I recorded them in order to have the bass amp=
sound summed to the direct one and to have "bigger" guitars obta=
ined with different amp sounds mixed together.=A0
Drums ReplacingI did some drums replaci=
ng on the bass drum and the snare using ladspa-trigger. =A0SynthsOnce the midi parts were well defined i se=
nt them to soft (Yoshimi, Nekobee, amsynth for example) and hard synths (i =
had this Yamaha digital piano a Korg 01WFD and a Roland jp 8000) and record=
ed them into the Ardour session.
MixI mixed all the tracks together using man=
y ladspa and lv2 plugins like Invada, Calf and others.=
MasteringI exported groups of tracks from the mixing sessio=
ns and imported them into a new one, then i used some soft eq and external =
and also the pitfalls you encounter when using linux apps (like this app is=
great, but when you do this/that it crashes or does weird stuff or starts =
to 'suck real bad'Except for=
the Ardour issue explained above i didn't encounter many weird things.=
Hope this can be exaustive enough.Cheers-- Giorgio Ba=