Re: [LAU] Decoding/ripping dolby surround CDs

From: Rob <lau@...>
To: Julien Claassen <julien@...>
Cc: <linux-audio-user@...>
Date: Friday, November 18, 2011 - 3:37 pm

On Thursday 17 November 2011 17:28, Julien Claassen wrote:

My memory was that the surround channel was added to one channel normally
and to the other channel inverted, but the Wikipedia article on Dolby
surround says it's phase-shifted 90 degrees in one and -90 in the other
(and, apparently, multiplied by sqrt(2)/2). That's why I didn't mention
specifics in my first post.

But if you wrote a Csound orchestra to decode DTS noise into stereo, you
certainly should be able to do it for plain old Dolby surround! Start
messing with phase and adding channels together, and you ought to get
something useful out of it.

Rob