Re: [LAU] Tips for mastering?

Previous message: [thread] [date] [author]
Next message: [thread] [date] [author]
To: <lists@...>
Cc: linux-audio-user <Linux-audio-user@...>
Date: Monday, November 14, 2011 - 5:41 pm

--14dae9340ab1af23e104b1b5616c
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1

Hello!

Thank you all very much for your tips, I'll be sure to use 'em all!

Regardning the music: It's all produced/mixed by myself, so the workload
should indeed be minimal if all goes as planned. I'll however probably need
to do some adjusting anyways but I think mostly it'll all be about
adjusting my multiband compressor + gain enough for each song. Awesome tip
with the referencemusic, if I sort of "line up" all the tracks to the
refereencetrack it'll probably save me alot of time, kind of matching my
tracks a bit to a musical frame dynamicswise.

Regards,

On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 6:01 PM, S. Massy wrote:

> Hello,

--14dae9340ab1af23e104b1b5616c
Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Hello!Thank you all very much for your tips, I'll be sure to us=
e 'em all!Regardning the music: It's all produced/mixed by =
myself, so the workload should indeed be minimal if all goes as planned. I&=
#39;ll however probably need to do some adjusting anyways but I think mostl=
y it'll all be about adjusting my multiband compressor + gain enough fo=
r each song. Awesome tip with the referencemusic, if I sort of "line u=
p" all the tracks to the refereencetrack it'll probably save me al=
ot of time, kind of matching my tracks a bit to a musical frame dynamicswis=
e.
Regards,On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 6:01=
PM, S. Massy <l=
ists@wolfdream.ca
> wrote:
Hello,

First, all of what Al said is good common sense stuff.

When you say "mastering" are you implying that someone else is mi=
xing
and you intend to do the post-processing? Why not go the whole way and
do it all yourself?

IMHO, it's worthwhile to pause and think about how you want things to
sound *before* even touching anything. Once you have an answer to that
question, it's a very good exercise to listen to a cross-section of the=

genre and pick a few reference mixes you feel comfortable with (they
don't have to be perfect, so long as you know what the strong and weak<=
br>
points are): it fulfils the double role of providing some kind of marker
to ce-centre you when your ears have had all they can take, and forcing
you to think about what you like and don't like in a mix.

For a whole album, you probably want to do it in two passes, the first
focusing on the songs, the second on harmonising the sound. If the mixes
were well done in the first place, the amount of work should be minimal:
in fact, you probably should worry if you find yourself tinkering too
much with certain aspects of the sound...

That's all I can think of for now. Good luck!

Cheers,
S.M.

On Sun, Nov 13, 2011 at 02:42:04PM +0100, Gabbe Nord wrote:

ter two
y good
but I
which is:
nt
quot; and thus

> songs to be as strong.

;just

> analyzingtools that might ease my work a bit? Like analysing RME for t=
he

gst
ed
h my
uff!
t I'm
d the
y

> _______________________________________________

ser@lists.linuxaudio.org

--

--14dae9340ab1af23e104b1b5616c--

Previous message: [thread] [date] [author]
Next message: [thread] [date] [author]

Messages in current thread:
[LAU] Tips for mastering?, Gabbe Nord, (Sun Nov 13, 1:42 pm)
Re: [LAU] Tips for mastering?, Fons Adriaensen, (Mon Nov 14, 7:11 pm)
Re: [LAU] Tips for mastering?, Moshe Werner, (Mon Nov 14, 8:45 pm)
Re: [LAU] Tips for mastering?, S. Massy, (Mon Nov 14, 5:02 pm)
Re: [LAU] Tips for mastering?, Gabbe Nord, (Mon Nov 14, 5:41 pm)