Re: [LAU] Reinstalling Ubuntu - Which version ?

From: jy <jypllx@...>
To: <linux-audio-user@...>
Date: Monday, November 14, 2011 - 8:59 am

--20cf300fb2cb4beaae04b1ae17e8

Hi and thanks for the quick response.

>> There are other dists than ubuntu too :) that in many cases are far
better suited for audio...
Yeah I guess. But I'm not only using my pc for audio as it's the family
laptop :)
Anyway I think it's my last attempt at ubuntu as I get tired of it, if
think it's great to begin with but now I want something a bit more...
well... stable and smaller. Something I can have easy control.
So which ones would you suggest for reasonable tweaking, easily
maintanable, with good hardware support (as I'm using a laptop) and fun to
use for people who don't care about which OS they're using (meaning a cool
and friendly desktop with the regular apps that one can use on other OS) ?

> Also, there is linux 2.6.33-rt for lucid in kxstudio PPA. It is not in
the main PPA but look for "KXstudio team kernels and drivers".
Great thanks Pablo, I'll try this one...

> Tango Studio is Ubuntu-based, dedicated to audio and has a very good
realtime kernel.
I've been looking at TangoStudio earlier but it's too much audio/video
oriented for me. I want something a bit more versatile (with automatic
package update for instance). I don't want to bother to update my system
manually. Actually, I just use a few apps (jack, ardour, hydrogen,
bristol, yoshimi plus effects) not the whole bunch so I always fear these
distros (tangostudio, ubuntustudio, ..) that come with a lot of apps. I
usually get lost

Thanks and cheers
jy

2011/11/13 Jeremy Jongepier

> On 11/13/2011 12:58 PM, Simon Wise wrote:

--20cf300fb2cb4beaae04b1ae17e8

Hi and thanks for the quick response.>> There are other dists=
than ubuntu too :) that in many cases are far better suited for audio...Yeah I guess. But I'm not only using my pc for audio as it's the =
family laptop :)

Anyway I think it's my last attempt at ubuntu as I get tired of it, if =
think it's great to begin with but now I want something a bit more... w=
ell... stable and smaller. Something I can have easy control.So which o=
nes would you suggest for reasonable tweaking, easily maintanable, with goo=
d hardware support (as I'm using a laptop) and fun to use for people wh=
o don't care about which OS they're using (meaning a cool and frien=
dly desktop with the regular apps that one can use on other OS) ?

> Also, there is linux 2.6.33-rt for lucid in kxstudio PPA. It is no=
t in=20
the main PPA but look for "KXstudio team kernels and drivers". Great thanks Pablo, I'll try this one...> Tango Studio is =
Ubuntu-based, dedicated to audio and has a very good realtime kernel.

I've been looking at TangoStudio earlier but it's too much audio/vi=
deo oriented for me. I want something a bit more versatile (with automatic =
package update for instance). I don't want to bother to update my syste=
m manually.=A0 Actually, I just use a few apps (jack, ardour, hydrogen, bri=
stol, yoshimi plus effects) not the whole bunch so I always fear these dist=
ros (tangostudio, ubuntustudio, ..) that come with a lot of apps. I usually=
get lost

Thanks and cheersjy2011/11/13 Je=
remy Jongepier <jeremy@autostatic.com>

On 11/13/2011 12:58 PM, Simon Wise wrote:

indeed, especially if you want to do your own system tweaking ...

=A0 ... but if you do want ubuntu you could try xubuntu instead

Hello Simon,

Ubuntu is perfectly suited for system tweaking, it's just another Linux=
distribution.

Best,

Jeremy

--20cf300fb2cb4beaae04b1ae17e8--