Re: [LAU] ambisonics: fons ambdec and muse.demon.co.uk ambidec

From: <fons@...>
To: <linux-audio-user@...>
Date: Friday, January 7, 2011 - 11:44 am

On Fri, Jan 07, 2011 at 10:01:50AM +0100, Arnold Krille wrote:

> Ambisonic when shipped seems to be normalized to distance of 1 unit.

The real-valued gain factors used in an AMB panner normally correspond to
a plane wave, i.e. a source at infinite distance, not to some 'unit'
distance. In NF-compensated encoding they correspond to some finite
distance (which has to be specified), but I haven't seen that used in
practice.

> One other usage for the distance is for near-field compensation. I believe

On the contrary, the distances are the only information ambdec has in
order to do near-field compensation.

> Finally, one of the main advantages of ambisonics compared to that 5.1/7.1-

Up to some limits. It's absolutely not true that AMB will perform well
on arbitrary speaker layouts. It will try to make the best of it, but
the result may still below expectations.

FA

There are three of them, and Alleline.