Re: [LAU] OT: Microphone choice for pipe organ

From: <fons@...>
To: <linux-audio-user@...>
Date: Wednesday, June 23, 2010 - 10:26 pm

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 11:11:55PM +0200, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:

> * direct sound ok'ish but a little unpleasant in the mid range and lack

Absolutely. It sounds as if everything above 5 kHz was
cut off somehow. A higher mic position could help, but
I've got the impression that the mics are lacking HF
anyway.

> * a bit too dry for my taste

Yes.

> * lack of low-end - the pedal is more or less missing

It's there but there could be a bit more...

> * unpleasant ambience reproduction

Difficult to say since there isn't much ambience.

> * either the organ is intoned quite harshly, or there is slight

Well, this isn't a German organ. It also needs some
maintenance, and the registration doesn't help.

I don't fully agree on the benefits of using omnis.
A *good* cardioid will reproduce the bass as well,
even if maybe you need to EQ a few dB. And spaced omnis
on organs or anything that produces long sustained notes
can be a disaster for mono compatibility, unless they are
spaced much more than a meter. And in that case you risk
the 'hole in the middle' or you need at least three mics.

FA

O tu, che porte, correndo si ?
E guerra e morte !