Re: [LAU] Rolling off high frequencies when mastering?

From: <fons@...>
To: <linux-audio-user@...>
Date: Wednesday, April 21, 2010 - 8:33 am

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 06:34:38PM -0700, Ken Restivo wrote:

> Kind of a general mastering question, but obligatory

> The question is: why do they roll off like that,

Microphones, tape machines, lossy encoding,...
all contribute to that. FM radio cuts off at 15 kHz.

(Just watch the output of your radio in Jaaa. You'll
also notice the 19 kHz reference signal (tuners should
filter it out, most don't do it very well.)

> and is there some reason I should do it in this

No. Unless you know the signal will end up in a very
very very crappy DA converter, and you want to give
that one preferential treatment at the expense of all
others.

FA

O tu, che porte, correndo si ?
E guerra e morte !