A mythical beast, rumored to exist, but never actually seen. Others have tried, but failed, to locate it. I now join the search. This beast is:
1) USB 1.0 "class compliant"-- NOT USB 2.0 -- and thus works with Linux
2) Is well and truly supported by ALSA.
3) Has FOUR outputs and 2-4 inputs, all usable from within JACK, with good professional quality DAC/ADCs.
4) The outputs and inputs are balanced and applicable for low or high impedance (probably with a switch), and have TRS 1/4" jacks or XLR or both.
5) Does not cost an arm and a leg.
This does not mean the FastTrack Pro! Sure it SAYS it has 4 channels, but only two are accessible from JACK. I have one and have used it for years, but I now need more outputs. And, also, the output of the "other" 4 channels is just RCAs. I need 4 channels output, USB1.0, 44.1Khz/24bit. I could use a cheap 5:1 home-theater USB fob type interface, but the sound quality would probably suck, and it sure won't give me balanced outs.
Does this Unicorn exist? Anyone seen one?
Linux-audio-user mailing list