Re: [LAU] Some new things to play with

From: <fons@...>
To: Arnold Krille <arnold@...>
Cc: <linux-audio-user@...>
Date: Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 11:45 pm

On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 12:52:50AM +0200, Arnold Krille wrote:

> On Wednesday 13 October 2010 22:21:04 you wrote:

> > > [*] No, I don't have references at hand. I just look at the big projects

I'm pretty sure that none of them is evaluating audio software from the
perspective of an audio engineer.

> Ok, so my suggestion of using CTRL+Q for 'quit' is bad. Probably my suggestion

Of all actions a program may perform, quitting is probably the one that
*least* of all needs a shortcut. If you quit, your work is finished. Compared
to all others it's a very infrequent action and there is nothing urgent about
it. Your window manager will provide a 'Quit' button, and that's really all
it takes. It doesn't even depend on the application.

Things that require shortcuts (in audio) are editing actions as in Ardour,
actions that change the visual presentation in a live context (e.g. opening
a window with plugins in a mixer), triggering real-time actions (e.g. start
recording), etc. Instruments implemented in software require them as well,
but I wouldn't include them as general-purpose audio apps - they are really
a class apart.

There are no sensible shortcuts for 'Aux send 4 on channel 23 on/off' or
similar actions you would perform on a mixer. And even less for changing
values of continuous controls. The only function shorcuts can have in an
app that may have hundreds if not thousands of controls is to help you
reach them as fast as possible. And that will always be specific to the
particular application.

> And using the colors the user wants (or needs!) instead of inforcing ones own

I'm currently working on an app that could easily have more than a
hundred functions (some unique, some replicated over many instances)
a particular rotary control could have. The color scheme and layout
will be designed to help the user find the control he/she needs as
easily as possible. Not by thinking but by following hints he/she
will in many cases not even be aware of. Do you really think a user
would be prepared to organise that on his/her own ?

> > As an example, the typical GUI toolkit slider is a *joke* for pro

Why not ? If it does the job its OK. And if it's designed by someone with
real-life experience in the particular field of application it is probably
close to what another designer with the same background would provide, and
to what an experienced user would expect. And anyway, what is the alternative ?

FA

There are three of them, and Alleline.