Re: [LAU] Questions on New Recording Gear

From: <fons@...>
To: <linux-audio-user@...>
Date: Tuesday, January 26, 2010 - 8:37 pm

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 12:33:22PM -0600, Ectropic Harmony wrote:

> > There's nothing wrong with turning them up as high as necessary.

??

> > As a starting point set all DAC/ADC levels

In the 'Analog Volume' tab.

> The levels on my Envy24 application have a minimum of "96" and a maximum of "0".

That's the monitor mixer (first two tabs). Set them
all to '96' and muted. If you want just 8 independent
inputs and outputs you don't use this mixer. The meters
can occasionally be useful to check if signals are
present, but normally you wouldn't use them.
Most distros will save the settings when you shutdown
the computer and re-apply then when booting. If that's
the case you don't need envy24control anymore once things
are set up correctly.

> By mute everything in "envy24 monitor mixer" do you mean in "Monitor

Both.

> I'd think that I should leave the ones I'm using un-muted so the signals send.

No, just mute them all. Mute here means they won't appear in
the stereo mix that can be made internally in the soundcard.

> I changed the "Patchbay/Router" settings all to PCM Outs now. I did

'PCM' means that the analog outputs will be the first
8 digital signals from the computer. 'Digital Mix' is
the output of the monitor mixer.

> In Ardour, with the current default general level settings, when I

It's not meant for level metering. Use the meters !

> Maybe I should crank my mixer "gains" even higher (currently ~35 or

Then turn up the gains, nothing is going to explode.

FA

O tu, che porte, correndo si ?
E guerra e morte !