Re: [LAU] FluidSynth fails to sintetize more 85% events generated by Drum machine ALESIS D4.

To: Jedi Storm <jedi00@...>, <linux-audio-user@...>
Date: Friday, September 11, 2009 - 2:19 am

--0-1100741207-1252635543=:25278

Mr Jedi Storm,

I'm cc'ing the audio-user list again since others may be able to help.=A0=
=20

I use midi files instead of an actual hardware device like you do.=A0 I run=
a (home-made) utility which strips out the note-off events from the percus=
sion track and saves the updated midi file.=A0 I then play back the resulti=
ng file with fluidsynth and the problem goes away.

In your case you will need to configure a program to filter the events out =
before they get to fluidsynth.=A0=A0 I've never done this kind of filtering=
so I don't know which software to recommend, but assuming such a real-time=
midi filter exists, it should be possible to create a chain by connecting =
the alsa ports of the various applications together correctly and make this=
all work.=20

Ken

From: James Cameron
by Drum machine ALESIS D4.
To: linux-audio-user@lists.linuxaudio.org
=0ADate: Thursday, September 10, 2009, 4:10 PM

On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 07:36:06PM +0200, Jedi Storm wrote:

The
=0A> alesis D4 only generates NOTE ON midi events.

This will be the cause of the symptom.

Change the D4 configuration to generate NOTE OFF events?

I've checked, and fluidsynth has no documented option for inventing the
=0ANOTE OFF events, so you have to generate them.

I've briefly googled, and there are mentions of changing the D4 to
generate NOTE OFF events.=A0 I'm not familiar with the D4 myself though.

--=20
James Cameron
=0Ahttp://quozl.linux.org.au/
=0A

=0A=0A=0A=0A
--0-1100741207-1252635543=:25278

Mr Jedi Storm,I'm cc'ing the audio-us=
er list again since others may be able to help.  I use midi fi=
les instead of an actual hardware device like you do.  I run a (home-m=
ade) utility which strips out the note-off events from the percussion track=
and saves the updated midi file.  I then play back the resulting file=
with fluidsynth and the problem goes away.In your case you will ne=
ed to configure a program to filter the events out before they get to fluid=
synth.   I've never done this kind of filtering so I don't know w=
hich software to recommend, but assuming such a real-time midi filter exist=
s, it should be possible to create a chain by connecting the alsa ports of =
the various applications together correctly and make this all work. Ken--- On Thu, 9/10/09, Jedi Storm
<jedi00@gmail.com> wrote:From: Jedi Storm <jedi00@gmail.com>Subject: Re: [LAU] FluidSynth=
fails to sintetize more 85% events generated by Drum machine ALESIS D4.To: "Ken Ellinwood" <kellinwood@yahoo.com>Date: Thursday, Septe=
mber 10, 2009, 6:07 PMKEn , Excus=
eme but what do you mean with ; strip out the note-off events in the percus=
sion tracks altogether ? I've the posibility to change default Inst=
rument bank position as well with an editor ...=0AThank you very ve=
ry much ! 2009/9/11 Ken Ellinwood <kelli=
nwood@yahoo.com
>=0A=
=0AIt doesn't matter if they are note-off or note-on with a velocity=3D0, f=
luidsynth treats both as note-off events.  You are experiencing a bug =
which occurs when a note-on is followed shortly by a note-off or note-on-ve=
locity-zero event.  If the temporal spacing between the two events is =
short enough that fluidsynth processes both events during the same cycle, t=
hen audio for the note-on is never generated.  This occurs most freque=
ntly with percussion tracks since the note-on and note-offs are spaced very=
closely together.   The only solution I've found is to strip out=
the note-off events in the percussion tracks altogether.   Its a=
pain, but works pretty well.=0AKen--- On Thu, 9/10/09, =
James Cameron <quozl@=
us.netrek.org
> wrote:=0AFro=
m: James Cameron <quozl@=
us.netrek.org
>Subject: Re: [LAU] FluidSynth fails to sintetize m=
ore 85% events generated by Drum machine ALESIS D4.To: linux-a=
udio-user@lists.linuxaudio.org
=0ADate: Thursday, September 10, 2009=
, 4:10 PMOn Thu, Sep 10, 200=
9 at 07:36:06PM +0200, Jedi Storm wrote:> MIDI Keyboard or Virtual K=
eyboard generate NOTE ON and NOTE OFF events , The=0A> alesis D4 onl=
y generates NOTE ON midi events.This will be the cause of the sympt=
om.Change the D4 configuration to generate NOTE OFF events?=
I've checked, and fluidsynth has no documented option for inventing the=
=0ANOTE OFF events, so you have to generate them.I've briefly googl=
ed, and there are mentions of changing the D4 togenerate NOTE OFF event=
s.  I'm not familiar with the D4 myself though.-- James Ca=
meron=0Ahttp://quozl.linux.org.au/______________________________=
-user
=
xaudio.org
=0Ahttp://lists.linuxau=
dio.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-audio-user
=0A=
=0A=0A=0A
--0-1100741207-1252635543=:25278--