Re: [LAU] M-Audio ProFire 610

From: jedd <jedd@...>
To: <linux-audio-user@...>
Date: Friday, July 3, 2009 - 9:09 am

On Fri 2009-07-03, Nicanor Garcia wrote:

That's a bit sad - I've been a bit fond of their gear in the past
(I have a Revolution PCI card and an Axiom keyboard/controller).

I bought the Revolution after trying to get a new SoundBlaster
card to work, and only then discovering that SB were now pretty
much anti-Linux support (after being *the* sound card for Linux
users to buy for close to a decade). Very sad. Very weird.

> Also they mentioned what differences the different kinds of

Yeah - I'm not sure why Firewire is thought to be better than USB.
As you observe, USB means you can pick up the kit and plug it
into effectively any machine on the planet. Apple still charge
each OEM for the right to put a Firewire plug in their computer,
and given USB is roughly the same speed[1] most manufacturers
and most consumers are happy to move to / stay with USB.

Jedd.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_device_bandwidths#Peripheral