Re: [LAU] MrRay73.dll with dssi-vst-0.8 and dssi-host-jack?

From: oz <oz@...>
Cc: <Linux-audio-user@...>
Date: Sunday, June 7, 2009 - 7:45 pm

Q wrote:

Thanks Q,

but my Clavia keyboard can't transpose outgoing notes, so I tried to
find qmidiroute. No Debian package exists, so I extracted the binary
from Ubuntu's qmidiroute_0.2.1-0ubuntu2_i386.deb and it works perfectly
under Debian/squeeze.

The last problem was to get a realtime-kernel. Alas Debian has no
RT-kernel distributed (top of my personal wishlist in Debian!!!) :-/

But a nice person packaged a rt-kernel here (thanks a lot!):

http://www.bandshed.net/AVLinux2/kernel-rt-highmem/linux-image-2.6.29.4-...

which I found mentioned in the ardour forum:
http://ardour.org/node/2653#comment-12674

I had a running linux-image-2.6.29-2-686 and installed
linux-image-2.6.29.4-rt15-rt_2.6.29.4-rt15-rt-10.00.Custom_i386.deb with
dpkg -i. Grub and initramfs were updated automatically.

The only configuration I did was /etc/security/limits.conf:
@audio - memlock 512000
@audio - rtprio 99
@audio - nice -10
# End of file

Realtime now works on my Asus eeebox (similar to eeepc). I plan to
dual-boot with this RT-kernel only for making music with my keyboard. In
all other cases I will use/boot the stock Debian kernel.

MrRay73.dll with dssi-vst runs fast and without any xruns on this setup.
Only some noise from the mainboard (hd-controller?) pollutes the
line-output. In the long run an external usb-soundcard should do the
job. A harder test seems to be the fabulous pianoteq piano, which was
released recently as native linux software (bravo!). I installed the
demo today on my new setup and it runs, but I have to read a little
about optimizing jackd and RT, as it uses more ressources.

- oz