Re: [LAU] thunderstorm

To: <linux-audio-user@...>
Date: Sunday, June 21, 2009 - 7:38 pm

--0016362835a602bc6b046ce0e885

Dave, very sorry to hear that!

Are surge protectors insufficient to protect sensitive audio equipment? We
have started to use surge protectors to connect all our electronics to
outlets, and they seem to have helped immensely. they have something like
$75,000 equipment warranties but i don't want to take chances with replacing
or repairing my audio equipment (what a hassle!) if something does happen.
on the other hand, i don't care if my tv gets fried :)

ethan

--0016362835a602bc6b046ce0e885

Today's Topics:

=A0 1. lovely weather (Dave Phillips)
=A0 2. Re: lovely weather (Folderol)
=A0 3. Re: lovely weather (Russell Hanaghan)
=A0 4. Re: lovely weather (J?rn Nettingsmeier)
=A0 5. Re: lovely weather (Dave Phillips)
=A0 6. Re: lovely weather (Christoph Eckert)
=A0 7. Re: lovely weather (Fons Adriaensen)
=A0 8. Re: lovely weather (Atte Andre Jensen)

Message: 1
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2009 13:08:52 -0400
From: Dave Phillips <dlphillips=
@woh.rr.com

Subject: [LAU] lovely weather
To: LAU <linux-=
audio-user@lists.linuxaudio.org

Greetings,

In fact, we've had some terrible weather. Yesterday morning we had the<=
br>
heaviest thunderstorm of the year so far, complete with great dark
rumbling skies and pyrotechnical displays of lightning. Lots and lots of
lightning.

Can you tell where this message is going ?

I like to think I'm not utterly deranged, so as a matter of course I
disconnect the power lines to my gear whenever we have a heavy storm.
And so I did this time, except I didn't unplug the cable modem
connection. =A0Well, live and learn, and so I have, to the combined
expense of one modem, one router, and one laptop. (Sounds kinda like a
John Lee Hooker song). I'm actually happy the damage didn't include=
the
two desktop boxes also connected to the router.

I'll remember that cable connection next time, I promise.

Grumble...

Best,

dp
Dave, very sorry to hear that!Are surge p=
rotectors insufficient to protect sensitive audio equipment?=A0 We have sta=
rted to use surge protectors to connect all our electronics to outlets, and=
they seem to have helped immensely.=A0 they have something like $75,000 eq=
uipment warranties but i don't want to take chances with replacing or r=
epairing my audio equipment (what a hassle!) if something does happen.=A0 o=