Re: [LAU] beatrix + eeepc + nanokontrol

From: oz <oz@...>
To: <linux-audio-user@...>
Date: Sunday, May 31, 2009 - 11:27 pm

Very helpful, thanks a lot, Robin!
I bundled all I need to start beatrix in a little script, that I start from
an icon on my KDE-desktop now:
#/bin/sh
# beatrix.sh virtually connects my midi-devices with beatrix and starts it.

PRESETS=/home/me/beatrix-presets.txt
BEA_DIR=/home/me/beatrix

vkeybd --preset $PRESETS &
sleep 1

BEA=$(aconnect -o -l | awk '/Virtual Raw MIDI 1-3/{print $2."0"}')

KBD=$(aseqdump -l | awk '/UM-1SX/{print $1}')
NANOK=$(aseqdump -l | awk '/nanoKONTROL/{print $1}')
VKBD=$(aseqdump -l | awk '/Virtual Keyboard/{print $1}')

aconnect $KBD $BEA
aconnect $NANOK $BEA
aconnect $VKBD $BEA

cd $BEA_DIR
$BEA_DIR/beatrix

There were two pitfalls I had to avoid. The ID of the Virtual Raw MIDI
interface depends on the connected usb-midi-devices at boottime. Only when
nothing is connected, it has the ID 1-3 as used in the script (else 3-3 for
example). So I boot the eeepc with with my keyboard and nanokontrol unplugged.
When KDE is up, I plug them in. One klick on my script-icon and I'm ready to
play!

The second pitfall were the KDE system-sounds. They can result in '/dev/dsp
busy' when beatrix starts. Now I disabled all system-sounds in
KDE-control-center.

I like your "Jackification" and will try it after I'm familiar with the
current release of beatrix. Hopefully the author of beatrix proofs your
concept. Beatrix is hot!

- oz

On Sun, 31 May 2009 20:47:30 +0200
Robin Gareus wrote: