Re: [LAU] From audio synthesis environment to plugin

To: <f.rech@...>, <rosea.grammostola@...>
Cc: <linux-audio-user@...>
Date: Sunday, October 4, 2009 - 8:39 am

<4AC845C8.8070802@yahoo.fr>

--_b9ffc811-00a4-400b-9149-c72b4917c2a2_

If you are going to put velocity curves on the controller itself then you a=
re going to lose
responsiveness=2C no? Midi only supports a 7 bit velocity: if the curve is =
on the controller
then a non-linear curve implies some of the 127 values have to be duplicate=
d and some
will not be used - that implies you have lost sensitivity in the touch resp=
onse.

If is far wiser to to pass a full linear resolution to the application=2C l=
et it convert that into
an internal curve that generates floats and can thus provide a far smoother=
curve. It also
makes programming the controller simpler as it will be able to avoid implem=
enting a
feature that the app/softsynth has to do anyway and can probably do better =
than MIDI.

Regards=2C nick.

"we have to make sure the old choice [Windows] doesn't disappear=94.
Jim Wong=2C president of IT products=2C Acer

Date: Sun=2C 4 Oct 2009 08:50:48 +0200
From: f.rech@yahoo.fr
To: rosea.grammostola@gmail.com
CC: linux-audio-user@lists.linuxaudio.org
Subject: Re: [LAU] From audio synthesis environment to plugin

=20

rosea grammostola a =E9crit :

Atte Andre Jensen wrote:
=20
=20
rosea grammostola wrote:
=20
=20
=20
@ Atte=2C Any results from your research yet?
=20
=20
=20
supercollider seems like a no go

pd has some possibilitites=2C the easiest would be to make the=20
http://www-crca.ucsd.edu/~jsarlo/pdvst/ work on linux. I mailed the=20
author=2C but didn't get a reply back just yet.

csound has csoundvst=2C which should work=2C just have to figure out where =
I=20
can download it (there seems to be no official releases=2C or something)...

So csound seems closest...

=20
=20
=20
A little OT=2C but when you talk about VST (hardware) hosts (see other=20
thread)=2C you got a lot of replies and also comments that we don't need=20
VST cause we have enough plugins...
=20
But you don't get many response=2C when you actually have a idea to=20
improve the plugin situation in a GPL manner...

Maybe people think the plugin situation on Linux doesn't have to be=20
improved=2C but I can't believe (sorry about that) a zynaddsubfx (which=20
acts pretty unstable with jack and have clicks and pops) and plugins=20
like hexter can satisfy the needs of=2C let's call them professionals.

\r
=20

A little delayed=2C but like to know :

What Linux applis are you using to have sound for "replace" :

-piano

-electric piano

-trompet

-sax

-trombone

-drums

-violin

-etc ?

Personnaly=2C don't use VST=2C but orchestration is really reduced in terms
of instruments=2C

let say it's a good opportunity to improve my guitar and bass play !

Thanks for answers=2C

Fred
=0A=
Windows Live: Friends get your Flickr=2C Yelp=2C and Digg updates when they=
e-mail you.=0A=
http://www.microsoft.com/middleeast/windows/windowslive/see-it-in-action...
cial-network-basics.aspx?ocid=3DPID23461::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-xm:SI_SB_3:092=
010=

Date: Sun=2C 4 Oct 2009 08:50:48 +0200From:=
f.rech@yahoo.frTo: rosea.grammostola@gmail.comCC: linux-audio-user=
@lists.linuxaudio.orgSubject: Re: [LAU] From audio synthesis environmen=
t to plugin

=20

rosea grammostola a =E9crit&nbsp=3B:

Atte Andre Jensen wrote:

rosea grammostola wrote:

@ Atte=2C Any results from your research yet? <=
/pre>

supercollider seems like a no gopd has some possibilitites=
=2C the easiest would be to make the http://www-crca.ucsd.edu/~jsarlo/pdvst/ work on linux. I mailed the=
author=2C but didn't get a reply back just yet.csound has csou=
ndvst=2C which should work=2C just have to figure out where I can downl=
oad it (there seems to be no official releases=2C or something)...S=
o csound seems closest...

A little OT=2C but when you talk about VST (hardware) hosts (see oth=
er thread)=2C you got a lot of replies and also comments that we don't =
need VST cause we have enough plugins... But you don't get many=
response=2C when you actually have a idea to improve the plugin situat=
ion in a GPL manner...Maybe people think the plugin situation on Li=
nux doesn't have to be improved=2C but I can't believe (sorry about tha=
t) a zynaddsubfx (which acts pretty unstable with jack and have clicks =
and pops) and plugins like hexter can satisfy the needs of=2C let's cal=
l them professionals.\r

A little delayed=2C but like to know :

What Linux applis are you using to have sound for "replace" :
-piano
-electric piano
-trompet
-sax
-trombone
-drums
-violin
-etc ?

Personnaly=2C don't use VST=2C but orchestration is really reduced in terms
of instruments=2C
let say it's a good opportunity to improve my guitar and bass play !

Thanks for answers=2C
Fred Windows Live: Friends get your Flickr=2C Yelp=2C and Digg updates when they e-mail yo=
u.

=

--_b9ffc811-00a4-400b-9149-c72b4917c2a2_--