Re: [LAU] rosegarden midi editor woes

To: <linux-audio-user@...>
Date: Saturday, October 17, 2009 - 10:01 pm

--0015175cba3467488b047628a804

I don't see this behaviour with a proper zoom. BTW, a good trick is Shift +
click in the piano roll (say C1):
All the C1 notes will be selected.

> - inability to properly insert notes: when i insert 1 1/32 note, and

Again an improper zoom level? Anyway, what editor do you use? The percussion
matrix editor I guess? I like more the matrix editor even for drums. I think
it responds better with low zoom levels.

> - copy paste behavior: when pasting, it pastes the notes at the

Yes, you can move forwards and backwards the edit cursor with the right and
left arrows.
Notes will be pasted at this point.

> - when zooming in/out, the song jumps back to the beginning, even if

> i could mention some more things, it only takes me a couple of minutes

I love hydrogen to edit drums. You can use 'klick -T -f /path/to/tempomap'
(klick as master jack and reading a tempo map in text mode, check klick) and
choose Jack Transport in hydrogen if you don't want a fixed tempo.

i tried openoctave midi but found it to be even more

> thanks for your help

--0015175cba3467488b047628a804

Message: 10
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 22:20:38 +0200
From: Dieter Plaetinck <dieter@pl=
aetinck.be

Subject: [LAU] rosegarden midi editor woes
To: linux-audio-us=
er@lists.linuxaudio.org

Hi guys,
I'm using rosegarden 1.7.3 (=3Dlatest release)

I think this is the best tool to do midi editing for drums on Linux
(please tell me if I'm wrong), but it does do some weird things which
get on my nerves:

- inability to properly select (groups of) notes: frequently it selects
=A0notes I didn't click, or it selects a group when I just want one
=A0note, etcI don't see this behaviour with a pr=
oper zoom. BTW, a good trick is Shift + click in the piano roll (say C1):All the C1 notes will be selected.=A0

- inability to properly insert notes: when i insert 1 1/32 note, and
=A0then want to do one next to it, it removes the one i just insert
=A0(even with quantize set to 1/32)=A0Aga=
in an improper zoom level? Anyway, what editor do you use? The percussion m=
atrix editor I guess? I like more the matrix editor even for drums. I think=
it responds better with low zoom levels.
=A0
- copy paste behavior: when pasting, it pastes the notes at the
=A0beginning of the song (is this pebcak?)=A0<=
div>Yes, you can move forwards and backwards the edit cursor with the right=
and left arrows.Notes will be pasted at this point. =A0<=
blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 2=
04, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">

- when zooming in/out, the song jumps back to the beginning, even if
=A0the 'time pointer' is somewhere else.
The zoom focus point is the edit cursor.=A0
i could mention some more things, it only takes me a couple of minutes
to start hitting time-wasting oddities.

anyone had similar issues? can it be solved? is there something better
then rosegarden?I love hydrogen to edit drums. You can us=
e 'klick -T -f /path/to/tempomap'=A0 (klick as master jack and read=
ing a tempo map in text mode, check klick) and choose Jack Transport in hyd=
rogen if you don't want a fixed tempo.
i trie=
d openoctave midi but found it to be even more
buggy then rosegarden (doesn't even render correctly)
=A0

thanks for your help
Dieter

Cheers! Pablo