Re: [LAU] best mic(s) for environmenal recording?

From: <prg@...>
To: <linux-audio-user@...>
Date: Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 6:02 pm

> Bearcat M. Sandor wrote:

Mike Taht wrote:
me lucky to be living in berlin, borrowed a head at the neumann company

Am Mittwoch, den 11.04.2007, 17:13 +0200 schrieb Dragan Noveski:

Hello all,

I did a lot of really stunning (classical) concert recordings with
in-ear binaural mics. I.e. you really don't need a dummy head, if you
are able to keep your own heard unmoved. It just requires a bit of
discipline. Small movements don't hurt, they rather drastically
improve the binaural imaging. The effect of different people
having different head shapes (HRTFs) is noticeable, but for the
purpose of just listening to music (and not doing angle measurements)
this doesn't matter much. The effect when listening with good playback
equipement and (open) headphones is really thrilling, quite immersive.
I don't know any recording technique providing better this "live"
or "we are there" feeling combined with the possibility to use
very high quality equipement at a moderate price tag (good
loudspeakers are a great deal more expensive).

The OKMs are nice, but even the "classical" variant is rather
middle class quality level. For really good results you can use
the DPA 4060 mini electret capsules. IIRC, DPA themself provide
some "binaural set" equiped with this mics.
I bought mine from "Core Sound" http://www.core-sound.com/bk/1.php

Cheers,
Hermann Vosseler