Marc and the Band!
Mark Constable wrote:
I think we're generally on the same track, but I feel even the MIDI base
of composition is a needless complication. A low-resolution OGG
aligning and registering with the base track would be both uploadable
and downloadable by that postulated Nigerian.
Again, my suggestion entails:
* simple FTP access to a modest server
* everything is rendered as OGG and synchronizes automatically
* only downloads are new tracks, and only if desired
* only uploads are contributors new tracks
* even mixing and mastering can be done on the compressed files
* high-res files are only required for final rendering
Storage capacity can be as low as 100 megabytes or so for twenty 5MB
compressed tracks, and bandwidth might be as little as 5 megabytes when
a single transfer is underway. Assuming 10 participants in different
timezones it may never be higher than that. If we "assign" down and up
times we can even control that, though this is NOT my recommendation.