Re: [linux-audio-user] stupid, basic alsa question

To: A list for linux audio users <linux-audio-user@...>
Date: Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 12:01 pm

On Thu, Mar 17, 2005 at 12:15:49PM +0100, Atte André Jensen wrote:
> Christoph Eckert wrote:
>
> >As you're using csound for a long time, perhaps there will be
> >nothing new.
>
> I didn't really learn anything new, except it answered my initial
> question "can multiple alsa clients at the same time" with the answer "No".

This is wrong, since applications which use alsa library (libasound)
can use the same card at the same time if their output device has been
set to dmix:... Programs which use alsa's kernel api (like sox) or which
use OSS emulation can't be configured to use dmix plugin.
Alsaplayer, ecasound, xmms, etc. work fine with dmix if configured correctly.

--
Tapio