[linux-audio-user] LADSPA plugins - warm sound quality

To: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@...>, <linux-audio-user@...>
Date: Saturday, November 30, 2002 - 9:12 am

----
From: Steve Harris
Re: experiences and reflections from the UK part II
2002-08-13 10:22

On Tue, Aug 13, 2002 at 12:15:37 -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
> my brother commented that the swt plugins sounded very "digital" to
> him. i bluffed by saying that i think it all comes down to the

This is very true.

Its partly a matter of taste - I like the hard digital filter sound, I
think it makes a pleasant change from analogue filters warmth.

In addition I'm a modular synthesist at heart, so if it annoyed me I would
just bung a lowpass->valve sim->lowpass on the end (this is what most VST
plugins will do).

I think I tend to use, and think of LADSPA plugins at a lower level than
most people. This became obvious at linuxtag.

But, mostly, making plugins sound warm requires more work, and no-one has
requested it (up til now).
---------

Steve, since you wrote this I have been doing a lot more work with the
ladpsa plugins and I tend to agree that the default sounds of a lot of
them are very hard.

Can you elaborate more on how and why you use "lowpass->valve
sim->lowpass on the end" to create a more warm sound?

Thanks. BTW. I think it would be a very good addition for the LAU FAQ so
I'll add this as it comes to light.

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
For the discerning hardware connoisseur

Being on stage with the band in front of crowds shouting, "Get off! No!
We want normal music!", I think that was more like acting than anything
I've ever done.

Goldie, 8 Nov, 2002
The Scotsman