RE: [linux-audio-user] clicks and pops

To: <linux-audio-user@...>
Date: Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 10:43 pm

Brian,
I am getting good results from a 500MHz P3. More important than the
processor speed (IMO) is the quality of the audio interface card itself and
how the machine is configured:

1) I am using an RME Hammerfall with external A/D & D/A, along with an
AP2496. Both work fine.

2) Configuration-wise, I've gotten much better results dumping Gnome in
favor of fluxbox, using a dedicated EIDE audio drive with it's own ATA-100
controller, and paying close attention to interrupt settings.

As others will probably report along the way, there are people with @GHz
processors that are getting clicks and pops. Unfortunately, this is a
developing area where we don't know how to tell every person out there how
to get the best results, so as always YMMV.

Good luck,
Mark