Re: [LAD] FW: Frequency Space Editors in Linux

To: Ivica Ico Bukvic <ico@...>
Cc: <linux-audio-user@...>, <linux-audio-dev@...>, <m_vanwagner@...>
Date: Monday, April 11, 2011 - 3:14 pm

--20cf301d4242efaadb04a0a60741

It depends on what you need to do precisely.

To be clear, the frequency dependant functionality of the noise removal in
the windows programs mentioned, only appeared in Adobe Audition (1.5 I
believe) after Adobe had purchased Cool Edit from Syntrillium(sp?). Before
that Cool Edit had used only a sampling based process. And really their
frequency based process is only a noise reduction process IIRC, meaning you
essentially remove that frequency range for that period of time, I think it
is a bit smarter than that, but the basic concept is there.

Al this being said, if there is a crackle, there are some specific
algorithms that exist that are _not_ the broadband noise reduction that you
seem to be looking for(In other words are specifically for declicking
audio), that may be of more benefit. However in all these areas of
restoration, Linux is sorely lacking. You can try GWC, but I was never
impressed by it or Audacity for restoration work. Sadly if you are
depending on restorative work, your best bet is either to use another
platform at this time, either another OS or via realtime hardware based
solutions like CEDAR if you can afford it. Alternatively you can attempt to
run other plugins/software via WINE on Linux, whcih I have done in the past
with mixed results.

But really to my knowledge there are no good native audio restoration tools
on Linux. I am currently using the WaveARTS MR Suite on OS X for this work
myself, though since it is machine based authorization(not iLok), and
several of their plugins do run on the receptor hardware, it might be
worthwhile to try to run it via ArdourVST/Wine and see if it can be run on
Linux. This is on my TODO list as I slowly progress to Linux again full
time for production work, but is not something i have had time to do yet.

Seablade

On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 10:42 AM, Ivica Ico Bukvic wrote:

> Hi Mike,

--20cf301d4242efaadb04a0a60741

It depends on what you need to do precisely.To be clear, the freque=
ncy dependant functionality of the noise removal in the windows programs me=
ntioned, only appeared in Adobe Audition (1.5 I believe) after Adobe had pu=
rchased Cool Edit from Syntrillium(sp?).=A0 Before that Cool Edit had used =
only a sampling based process.=A0 And really their frequency based process =
is only a noise reduction process IIRC, meaning you essentially remove that=
frequency range for that period of time, I think it is a bit smarter than =
that, but the basic concept is there.
Al this being said, if there is a crackle, there are some specific algo=
rithms that exist that are _not_ the broadband noise reduction that you see=
m to be looking for(In other words are specifically for declicking audio), =
that may be of more benefit.=A0 However in all these areas of restoration, =
Linux is sorely lacking.=A0 You can try GWC, but I was never impressed by i=
t or Audacity for restoration work.=A0 Sadly if you are depending on restor=
ative work, your best bet is either to use another platform at this time, e=
ither another OS or via realtime hardware based solutions like CEDAR if you=
can afford it.=A0 Alternatively you can attempt to run other plugins/softw=
are via WINE on Linux, whcih I have done in the past with mixed results.
But really to my knowledge there are no good native audio restoration t=
ools on Linux.=A0 I am currently using the WaveARTS MR Suite on OS X for th=
is work myself, though since it is machine based authorization(not iLok), a=
nd several of their plugins do run on the receptor hardware, it might be wo=
rthwhile to try to run it via ArdourVST/Wine and see if it can be run on Li=
nux.=A0 This is on my TODO list as I slowly progress to Linux again full ti=
me for production work, but is not something i have had time to do yet.
=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 SeabladeOn Mon, A=
pr 11, 2011 at 10:42 AM, Ivica Ico Bukvic <ico@vt.edu> wrote:
Hi Mike,

Forwarding this to the list where users and developers might be able to ass=
ist.

Hope this helps!

Best wishes,

Ico