[LAD] Permafrost guitar amp, was Re: RDF libraries, was Re: [ANN] IR: LV2 Convolution Reverb

Date: Saturday, March 5, 2011 - 5:55 pm

From: Stefano D'Angelo
Date: 2011/2/27
Subject: Re: [LAD] RDF libraries, was Re: [ANN] IR: LV2 Convolution Reverb
To: Giuseppe Zompatori
Cc: linux-audio-dev@lists.linuxaudio.org

2011/2/27 Stefano D'Angelo :

Ciao Stefano,
Taking this email to a new thread.

>Well... they seem to have a lot of stuff there. :-)

They are very silent on this sadly, don't know what they are doing.

Very interesting, I tried compiling your thesis with permafrost to try
this out (obtaining the source from the pdf has been hell BTW) but it
bails with an "m_pi" undeclared input/output function...

Anyway, are you limited to the simulation of a half triode with white
box techniques? I think you should model at least both halves of a
triode if you're after accuracy, a single triode amplifier won't even
work in real life (I build tube amps, I know) ;)
Also class A amplifiers aren't very popular amongst guitar players
(mainly because of their clipping behavior). You also want a
multi-stage preamp with different filtering/biasing points between
stages.
You might think I am crazy but that's what you'll discover yourself by
observing schematics to popular guitar amps.

Here's a simple (early Fender-like) amp topology:

Tube n. 1
Tube n. 2 Tube n. 3 and
4
| |

1st triode -> Tone stack -> post tone stack recovery triode -> P.I.
(Phase inverter) triodes -> (at least 2) Pentodes -> O.T. (Output
Transformer) -> Speakers

^
^

Presence
pot<--------------------------------negative-feedback---------------------------------------------

This is the easiest PP (Push Pull) class A/B amp I could come up with
(sounds pretty darn good in real life). It has got a tone stack, 4
tubes (2 triodes and two pentodes) and an OT/speakers, do you think
this is feasible computational-wise with permafrost?

>Well, they say guitarix has improved, yet the last time I was all but

Invada has a simple generic tube drive function AFAIK, I still prefer
the CAPS* amp over it as it's at least based on a real amp.

>Stammi bene,

Anche tu!

-Giuseppe