Re: [LAD] [LAU] mudita24 1.02 -- improved envy24control mixer/router for ice1712-based sound-cards

From: <fons@...>
To: <linux-audio-dev@...>
Date: Saturday, August 14, 2010 - 8:51 pm

On Sat, Aug 14, 2010 at 12:19:33AM -0700, Niels Mayer wrote:

> The big issue with having the full 144dB range is that the "business"

I've never seen a real fader that has any practical resolution
below -80 dB: the next tick, 5mm or so down, is 'Off'. And most
don't even go down that much.

> Since the goal of input monitoring is to record as much signal as

Right. For recording you'd better leave a margin of 15 dB or so.
Increasing the recorded level (assuming your software records 24
bit or floats) is not going to improve your S/N ratio at all -it
is determined by the preamp, not by the level on the 'tape'.

> Maybe this kind of metering and cue-routing doesn't exist on any of

I hope that nobody is going to use the soundcard's mixer to do a
real mixdown - not if you have software like Ardour. The purpose
of the soundcard's mixer is to provide monitoring while laying
tracks, and function performed on a real mixer by the AUX busses.
I never have seen a mixer that has solo on the AUX busses.

For this kind of monitoring and this card you have two options:
one stereo monitor, or two mono ones. For the first you'd want
panpots. For the second you'd want two separte gains.
The compromise is what I proposed: one gain control and just L
and R buttons instead of full panning. This works well in both
cases.

FA

There are three of them, and Alleline.