Re: [LAD] [LAU] mudita24 1.02 -- improved envy24control mixer/router for ice1712-based sound-cards

From: <fons@...>
To: <linux-audio-dev@...>
Date: Wednesday, August 11, 2010 - 8:35 pm

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 12:26:19PM -0700, Niels Mayer wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 11:24 AM, Tim E. Real wrote:

Not really, EQ normally being pre-fader. Post-fader meters in a mixer
strip are useful only of the signal being metered is actually one
that is physically available on some connector, e.g. as a direct out.
It would not indicate any overload that occurs pre-fader.

If the signal just goes to a mixing bus (as in the case we are discussing)
then it's individual level is irrelevant - the level on the mixing bus (all
signals summed) may be. But in this case you can't overload the mixing
bus, so even that would be useless.

> An initial problem in viewing mudita24 as a "mixer" : if the "mute" is

Yes, it can be used in two different ways. If you don't need the zero
latency monitoring (e.g. when the card is connected to a real mixer
anyway) you would not use the card's mixer at all, and set fixed
analog gains.

> > However I realised yesterday that each digital mixer strip is STEREO.

In this case, just individual buttons for L and R instead of the panner
would be just fine, and you wouldn't need the mute buttons anynore.

FA

There are three of them, and Alleline.