Re: [LAD] You guys don't make nearly enough sense as you should to me :")

From: <fons@...>
To: <linux-audio-dev@...>
Date: Tuesday, August 10, 2010 - 9:05 pm

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 01:55:41PM -0600, Bearcat M. Sandor wrote:

> Fons just wrote "as far as i'm concerned, it would be cool to have

Joern wrote that, not me.

> gain coefficient....what? I know that makes sense to the lot of you

This has little or nothing to do with AMB theory.

If you want your subs to work in Ambisonic mode, and the number
of subs is not the same as the nunmber of normal speakers, then
you would normally need to run two decoders, that is two instances
of the Ambdec program, each with its own configuration.

What Joern tried to explain is that if you know a bit of how
Ambdec works and is configured, you can edit the two configuration
files into one and just use one Ambdec. The thing that would be
missing in that case is some easy way to modify the balance between
subs and normal speakers. This is the 'gain coefficient' that Joern
referred to.

W.r.t. AMB theory, there are as far as I know no books about this.
Unless you really want to understand AMB at the mathematical level,
you won't need much acoustic theory, and what you need can be
explained in a fairly intuitive rather than a mathematical way.

There are some web resources about AMB, but some of them I would
not advise you to read. There are two ways to get a good basic
knowledge of AMB. The first: spend some time with one of 'the
experts', and let them explain things to you. Since that is
interactive it will go fast, but you need to find someone who
has the spare time, or who provides this sort of education on a
commercial basis. The second: collect all information you can
find - web resources, papers, whatever, and try to make sense of
it. It will be hard in the beginning. If necessary ask questions.
This will take more time and you'll have to invest a lot of effort,
but it works. It could very well be that some of the most practical
information is to be found in circles of game developers, AMB is
gaining some reputation there.

FA

There are three of them, and Alleline.