Re: [LAD] Is there a Linux Software Mixer?

From: <fons@...>
To: <linux-audio-dev@...>
Date: Monday, November 29, 2010 - 12:39 am

On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 04:19:40PM -0800, Rory Filer wrote:

> I think I know the answer to this, but I was wondering if it's

This could mean two things:

* mixing the outputs of two or more apps driving the same
sound card, or
* mixing audio signals inside an application.

The first is possible using ALSA's dmix plugin or Jack.

The second is what almost all audio apps will do at some point,
it's an almost trivial operation and only requires multiplying
and adding sample values.

On a modern PC you can do this with hundreds of signals without
problem, it certainly does not require a DSP chip.

FA

There are three of them, and Alleline.