Re: [Consortium] problem about inclusion of Ubuntu

Previous message: [thread] [date] [author]
Next message: [thread] [date] [author]
To: Ivica Ico Bukvic <ico@...>
Cc: <consortium@...>
Date: Friday, March 24, 2006 - 9:00 pm

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

hi Ivica and all,

On Thu, Mar 23, 2006 at 12:19:29PM -0500, Ivica Ico Bukvic wrote:

why do we need to have this abduction now?
i find the above statement quite depressive, when given by the
linuxaudio.org director, i'll explain why:

there are many needs, many people and many distributions.

consider that Ubuntu is not oriented to multimedia nor is properly
prepared for it: needs quite some re-configuration (which is yet another
debian->ubuntu->whatsnext derivate then?).
so to pinpoint projects responsible for its usability in audio i reckon
after our discussion that ubuntustudio and some package mantainers
(marillat, agnula/demudi and debian mantainers etc.) should be
considered more than the omnipresent brand you proudly show on your
laptop.

Mako Hill says about Ubuntu that yes is a fork but forking is not a
problem. i think it's right unless the branch grows more than the tree;
then we're gonna have a problem at the roots.

in order to properly recognize the communities and developers that
really make things possible, i suggest you take more care to look into
the bush Ivica, we need this for the good of our own consortium members.

> > now i look forward to efforts in fostering development!

[...]

i'm not talking about tainting :) money is just money we are not
barefoot hippies (it might be the case someone of us enjoy being it from
time to time?) anyway such a "money tainted" concept doesn't applies to
our consortium i guess.

what i mean with "not the best way" is that there are better sustainable
ways to exchange values at our stage, one of which is already well
active (but not properly considered, is my perception): visibility and
trustability.

in fact, the value we are sharing already among each other is trust.

now go ask a gnu/linux mantainer of today what the word "trust" means
for him :) imagine all this armies of users we have behind here and how
much they trust us in running the software we publish...

> > linking with hardware manufacturers has been mentioned (and done?)

that's merchandising. do we need it? yes, until a certain degree, if
there is someone good at it willing to do more, but such activities
should form a chapter that sustains itself IMHO.

> As mentioned earlier, if the project in question has a

well then, my issue is just about inclusion of Ubuntu (and not
ubuntustudio) and of Mark Shuttleworth here.
we already sent out an announcement mail without discussing it first
here, i'm glad to see there is still some space for discussion.

so far i didn't read any mail here in favour of inclusion of Ubuntu,
only in favour of ubuntustudio.

i'm looking forward to hear what the consortium as a whole think about
it.

> > do we distinguish between membership of communities, foundations,

so we go for a membership support scheme to gather some money for our
consirtium? yes, i think can be a good way! especially when someon here
has the money, which happened already, can really help.

i just hope that the most of the money out of that doesn't gets all
expended in beaurocracy and mantainance, but we can do some more...
well, let's see how many we are first :)

ciao

- --
jaromil, dyne.org rasta coder, http://afrolinux.org

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.1 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Cryptographically signed mail, see http://gnupg.org

iD8DBQFEJAlEe2QxhLU0C14RArZ/AKCsUtWgVw5CrO4TKDnXGxM+q2uBCQCeOFba
dRipldRsVUbEM3yVavPj0wA=
=uiV7
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Previous message: [thread] [date] [author]
Next message: [thread] [date] [author]

Messages in current thread:
[Consortium] Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: linuxaudio.org, Andrea Glorioso, (Thu Jan 22, 5:19 am)
Re: [Consortium] Re: Linux audio workstations, Andrea Glorioso, (Thu Sep 30, 11:02 pm)
Re: [Consortium] fao Paul White: Letter for publication, Andreas Kuckartz, (Tue Jun 21, 3:02 pm)
[Consortium] Re: re[4]: Sounds Expo 06, Daniel James, (Fri Sep 16, 3:21 pm)
[Consortium] Linuxaudio.org updates, Ivica Ico Bukvic, (Sat Mar 18, 12:03 am)
[Consortium] Logo update, Thorsten Wilms, (Sat May 13, 6:17 pm)
[Consortium] RE: [linux-audio-dev] Call for all LA projects, Ivica Ico Bukvic, (Wed Jul 5, 8:01 pm)
[Consortium] maintenance @ linuxaudio.org, Robin Gareus, (Thu Oct 11, 3:09 pm)
[Consortium] LAC2008 paper submission form now open!, Martin Rumori, (Wed Nov 14, 5:56 pm)
[Consortium] Ubuntu Studio-Hardy testing, Cory K., (Mon Jan 21, 10:10 pm)
[Consortium] LAO website and competition, Patrick Shirkey, (Thu Oct 30, 5:39 am)
[Consortium] LAC2009 paper deadline coming near..., Fons Adriaensen, (Sun Jan 11, 5:37 pm)
Re: [Consortium] [LAD] Next year's LAC, Ivica Ico Bukvic, (Tue Oct 13, 6:13 pm)
[Consortium] linuxaudio.org downtime, Robin Gareus, (Mon Jan 25, 6:21 pm)
Re: [Consortium] [LAA] Composition Competition, Marc Groenewegen, (Sat Apr 3, 7:10 am)
[Consortium] [ANN] Linux Audio Conference 2011, Robin Gareus, (Fri Oct 1, 4:40 pm)
[Consortium] audio friendly distro, richard, (Fri Sep 30, 9:52 am)
Re: [Consortium] [LAU] Protest, Jörn Nettingsmeier, (Tue Jan 17, 11:47 am)
[Consortium] .com domain name, Patrick Shirkey, (Sat Apr 21, 1:36 am)
[Consortium] Tango Studio Debian 2.1~rc1, Jof Thibaut, (Fri Dec 6, 11:16 am)
Re: [Consortium] [LAU] Protest, Robin Gareus, (Tue Jan 17, 12:21 pm)
Re: [Consortium] [LAU] Protest, Jeremy Jongepier, (Tue Jan 17, 12:33 pm)
Re: [Consortium] [LAU] Protest, Robin Gareus, (Tue Jan 17, 12:49 pm)
Re: [Consortium] [LAU] Protest, Ivica Ico Bukvic, (Tue Jan 17, 1:37 pm)
Re: [Consortium] audio friendly distro, Daniel James, (Fri Sep 30, 2:30 pm)
Re: [Consortium] [LAD] LAC2009 paper deadline coming near..., Patrick Shirkey, (Mon Jan 12, 3:04 am)
Re: [Consortium] problem about inclusion of Ubuntu, Dave Phillips, (Tue Mar 21, 8:55 pm)
Re: [Consortium] problem about inclusion of Ubuntu, Daniel James, (Tue Mar 21, 11:49 pm)
RE: [Consortium] problem about inclusion of Ubuntu, Ivica Ico Bukvic, (Tue Mar 21, 10:22 pm)
RE: [Consortium] problem about inclusion of Ubuntu, Ivica Ico Bukvic, (Thu Mar 23, 11:20 pm)
Re: [Consortium] problem about inclusion of Ubuntu, jaromil, (Fri Mar 24, 9:00 pm)
RE: [Consortium] problem about inclusion of Ubuntu, Ivica Ico Bukvic, (Sat Mar 25, 12:09 am)
Re: [Consortium] problem about inclusion of Ubuntu, Daniel James, (Thu Mar 23, 9:48 pm)
Re: [Consortium] problem about inclusion of Ubuntu, Daniel James, (Tue Mar 21, 8:49 pm)
Roll call (was Re: [Consortium] Linuxaudio.org updates), Steve Harris, (Mon Mar 20, 5:22 pm)
Re: [Consortium] Csound project joins consortium, Daniel James, (Thu Jul 28, 5:30 pm)
Re: [Consortium] Csound project joins consortium, Andrea Glorioso, (Thu Jul 28, 2:57 am)
Re: [Consortium] fao Paul White: Letter for publication, Daniel James, (Tue Jun 21, 4:12 pm)
Re: [Consortium] fao Paul White: Letter for publication, Daniel James, (Tue Jun 21, 9:37 pm)
Re: [Consortium] fao Paul White: Letter for publication, Steve Harris, (Tue Jun 21, 3:42 pm)